Chapter 11 || 100%

• Dedicated to Y'know the drill

{Soda's POV}

I am at the hospital now. It is about 10:40pm. I have been waiting outside Elizabeth and Gwendolyn's room for at least an hour. I have cried a lot. Dally called me a cry baby. I love Elizabeth, and seeing her hurt like that killed me inside. Darry, Two-Bit, Steve, Johnny and Ponyboy showed up earlier. Steve was pacing up the pedway by my side.

He was scared because him and Gwendolyn have become good friends because she's the popcorn girl at the Nightly Double, and he loves Elizabeth like a sister.

"Here Soda." Ponyboy said, handing me a tissue.

"Thanks Pony." I replied, wiping my tears.

Darry wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I leaned on him.

"I haven't seen ya bawl like this since mom and dad." Darry said, sniffling.

Johnny was leaning against the wall talking to Dally. Two-Bit of course was over flirting with the nurse. Blonde broad, as usual. I looked at Johnny and he gave a small but noticeable smile. I tried to smile back, but I couldn't.

I saw a brunette nurse exit Elizabeth's room and approach me.

"Sodapop Curtis?" she asked.

"That would be me." I politely answered.

"You may now go see Elizabeth."

I got up and looked back at the boys.

"Aye, don't scare the bejeebus outta the girls." Two-Bit joked. "Their faces are the only thing we don't want wet." he chuckled with a wink.

I entered the room.

"Elizabeth? How ya doin'?"

She slowly moved her head to look at me. "Hey Sodapop. I've been better. Sit down, please." she whispered.

I walked over to the seat next to her bed.

"Will you sit up here with me?" she asked.

I nodded and sat next to her, after taking my converse off of course. I slipped under the blanket and kissed her forehead gently.

"I am so sorry this happened to you. I keep blaming myself I just-"

"No, Soda do not blame yourself. The Socs were chasing us, we could've got them good, that is, if it weren't for being outnumbered. Please don't blame yourself, I beg you." Elizabeth looked me in the eyes, leaning her head on my arm.

"But Elizabeth, I could've saved you and Gwendolyn. I mean, Gwendolyn was fucking raped by Billy! And you have cuts everywhere!"

Elizabeth put a finger to my lips. "On the bright side, it's still alive." she whispered.

My eyes questioned her remark.

"What is alive?"

She smiled faintly. "The baby."

I could feel my eyes grow bigger.

"What baby?" As soon as I said it, I clued in. I feel stupid now.

"Ours."

I saw stars and then felt nauseated.

Elizabeth faintly laughed. "I'm sorry I had to tell you this way, I just thought it would be easier to handle with nurses standing by, y'know?"

I nodded.

"I'll be back to see you later, I have to run to do a few errands."

Her eyes glittered. "Oh... okay. I guess I'll see you around."

I kissed her gently and walked out the door. The boys stood up and looked at me.

"Well?" Steve yelled.

"Darry can I borrow your truck?" I asked.

"Sure buddy, why so?"

I looked down smiling. "I need to go to the store."

Darry stepped closer. "Why bud, why?" he said uneasily.

"So I can pick out a ring." I replied.

"A ring?" Darry said with surprise.

"I'm gonna propose to Elizabeth."

"WOAH BUDDY!" Steve yelled, jogging over to me. "You're gonna pop the question?"

I nodded again.

"Well hoo doggie! The first grease to get hitched!" He stomped.

"Well, are you sure?" Johnny said, lifting his head.

"You took the words right outta my mouth, Johnny." Darry chimed in.

"I am sure. I want to marry Elizabeth."

Darry, Ponyboy and I were on our way to the truck from the store. I was staring at the thirty dollar diamond encrusted ring I had picked for Elizabeth. I was proud of it. I just hoped she would love it as much as I did.

"So you're really gonna propose?" Pony said, kicking a rock.

"Yeah." I muttered.

"And you're gonna leave me and Darry?" he questioned in almost a whisper.

"No, I think if it is okay with you, Darry, that me and Elizabeth could crash in the basement until Pony is outta school?"

Darry was silent the whole time and I didn't think he would answer but then he grunted.

"Why not. But if y'all start knockin' against the walls, I may just kill you."

We reached the truck and as we were halfway into it, I heard someone shout my name. I looked up and saw Steve running our way.

"Steve! What ya doin' here bud?"

Steve caught up and leaned on the truck, panting. "The nurse said that the girls can go home, as long as they don't go out for awhile."

I grinned. I kissed his cheek and looked him in the eye.

"You're a beautiful man." I hopped into the truck as Darry started it. He revved up the engine and me, Darry and Pony were off to the hospital.

Five minutes layer we got to the hospital. I walked in and saw Elizabeth and Gwendolyn holding hands and walking from the water room.

"Elizabeth!" I yelled, running to her. She smiled. Her hand detached from Gwendolyn's as she rushed over to me. Her beautiful blue eyes, that shimmered like diamonds, were full of life once again.

"I love you." she said, melting into my arms.

"I love you more, baby." I whispered.

The doors opened and Darry, Ponyboy and Steve entered the hospital. When Gwendolyn looked at Steve he immediately went to her and hugged her everlastingly.

"Coupling it up, I guess." he laughed.

"Well, everyone." Darry said, roughly. "Time to head home."

"This is way to cliché for my liking." Elizabeth snorted.

I nodded with a smirk. "Well," I leaned in towards her ear. "When we get back, how about I slip you the big one?"

Elizabeth's eyes widened. I received a good slap in the noggin.

"Sodapop! I'm pregnant, you fool." She whispered in a giggle.

"Did that break the cliché?" I smirked back,

"Not even close."