Chapter 24 || "And that's all I can remember."

{ Soda' POV }

Elizabeth sure looked pretty curled up in a ball on the sofa. Looked soft, gentle, beautiful. I couldn't help but to kiss her forehead before heading into the kitchen to fix myself some chocolate cake.

I was about halfway to the kitchen when the phone rang. Loudly, in fact. I picked it up as quickly as I could and pressed the receiver to my ear. "

"Hello? Who is this?" I asked quietly.

"Soda, it's Two-Bit. I tried callin' Darry but he's out at work. Listen, I need help! Ponyboy was jumped. This time, he got cut up real bad. There's blood everywhere! Get down here to the lot! Hurry!"

"Oh my god, okay. Stay with him and don't let no Soc around Pony! I'll be right there."

This can't be happenin'. Not now! I just got situated at home and now some dumb Soc is out roughin' up my kid brother. Not today, pal.

I ran over to the door and quickly shoved on my ol' Converse and threw on a plaid shirt over my t-shirt. Elizabeth moved a little, but she's asleep, so I can leave her quietly without bein' disturbed.

I slipped out of the house, lockin' the door and started up the road. My mind was clouded with drama. I almost tripped in the middle of the street from so much thinkin'. All that I could think was the thought of losin' Pony. I wondered if Darry knew, but I realized that he was at work so of course he didn't!

About seven minutes later I got to the lot. Two-Bit called over to me and I ran over super speedy quick. He was knelt down holdin' a cloth to Pony's giant cut on his stomach. He moaned and opened his eyes slightly.

"Sodapop!" He weakly exclaimed. "Oh, Soda. It was awful." He tried to sit up but he screamed in pain and went out cold. His dark hair was bloody and dirty.

"Two, we gotta get 'em back to the house!" He's bleedin' real bad!" I shouted, pained by the fear of losin' my kid brother. "C'mon!"

Two-Bit helped me pick up Ponyboy. I laid him across my arms and held the cloth close. "This is gonna be hard, runnin' with a kid in my arms and all."

Two-Bit gazed off a bit and noticed a few guys makin' their way towards them. "Who that?" He squinted. It was the Socs. "Geez, we gotta bolt, Soda!" He said softly. "Them Socs are comin' back for more I bet ya!"

We turned quickly and started running for home. The house was about three blocks away, so it won't that long of a run. "Let's pick it up! Them Socs are runnin' now!" Two-Bit yelled.

>>>Five minutes later<<<

I stomped up the steps followed by Two-Bit. I was exhausted, he was exhausted and we were 103% done with running. I lay Pony on the sofa and walked into the kitchen and grabbed a couple cups, filling them to the brim with ice cold water. I walked into the living room and sat in the recliner across from the sofa. Ponyboy started to come to.

"Sodapop? You there?" He whispered.

"Yeah Pony, I'm here. Don't move, okay? You went out cold last time." I walked over and tilted a cup up to his mouth, allowing the water to flow into his mouth. He reached up and touched his cheek.

"I must have some nasty cuts, huh?" He laughed softly.

Two-Bit sat up and looked at him concerned. "Kid, it's not funny. You coulda been killed!"

"What did they do to you? Do you remember?" I asked. Pony nodded, looking up at the ceiling. I gave him some more water.

"I remember. Clearly, in fact."

(Authors Note: this is a flashback sequence in Pony's POV)

""Hey greaser, you shouldn't be out this late. Your mommy and daddy may be worried, you know." One Soc taunted.

A second laughed. He adjusted his rings he wore on his fingers. He had an evil smirk on his face. "Yeah. Probably scared senseless about their son being out this late."

"My parents are dead."

"You're chicken shit, greaser. You're dumb, useless and a burden to society. White trash." The Soc spit on my shoe. That was enough.

"You're the white trash, you two-faced dumbass Soc!" I then punched the kid. Hard.

They all started to attack me, scraping me with their rings and pelting me with rocks. One of them might've broke my nose. Not exactly what you'd call a "calm situation".
______________

The last thing I remember was one of them pulling a switch and tracing my stomach with figure 8s, and then I was unconscious." Pony said as he laid his head down and fell asleep, his cheek twitching a bit. I ran a hand through my hair and shagged it a little.

"Night Pony." I whispered. "Sweet dreams."