Chapter 17 || Encountered

{Soda's POV}

"For the record, Officer Dagley, I killed that Soc outta self defence! You can't be expecting me not to do something like that when some fucking asshole is beating on my girl! I love her, I'd do anything to protect her!" I puffed in anger.

I unclenched my fists.

"So you killed a boy..." Officer Dagley looked up at the ceiling. He tapped his pencil off of the large wooden desk he was sitting behind.

I shifted in the uncomfortable wooden chair I was sitting in, anticipating on what he will say next.

"What you did was bad, but it was out of self defence, and it saved a life." He sighed.

I looked down at my hands. They had dried blood all over them. "Didn't it save both of them?"

Officer Dagley stared at the floor. "I was hoping you'd already heard..."

My eyes widened. "Heard what?"

Officer Dagley got up and walked to his filing cabinet and leaned on it. He was quiet.

Within a split second I was now sweating and bloodshot, pushing back my seat and approaching the officer. "TELL ME!"

"Now, Sodapop. You're gonna have to sit down." He said, motioning to the hard wooden chair next to the sheriff desk.

I walked over and took a seat, panting in anger.

"The baby didn't make it." Dagley said, tipping his hat downwards. "I'm sorry."

I sat there helpless. The baby I had helped create was just a blob in space now. How could I have allowed this to happen? I slimmed back into the chair and cupped my hands over my face.

"Oh man, Sodapop... Just when you thought you couldn't be more down in the dumps." I whispered, sobbing.

My mom and dad are gone, my brothers are constantly fighting, my girl isn't around to help me get through my troubling ways and my... Our baby is gone. My life is broken... I'm broken.

I stared down at my converse. They were old, beat up with barely any lace left to hold them together. Like me.

<<Three hours later>>

I stepped out into the outside from the cooler. Free. I am free. Free to see Darry, Ponyboy, Two-Bit, Dally, Johnny, Steve. Elizabeth!!

I hitched my thumbs in my jeans and headed down to my house. We lived about eight blocks from where the cooler was. Too close if you ask me! As I made my way down town, I glanced into the hardware store and saw Two scoping out the pocket knifes. I decided I'd drop in and pay him a visit.

As I opened the door, the bell jingled and it caught the attention of the clerk.

"Good day, how may I help you?" The clerk man asked. He was tall, built and broad. He had a beard down to about the middle of his chest.

I smiled. "Just browsin'." I called over, turning down the blade aisle. I spotted Two and approached him. He looked my way and he had to do a double take.

"Sodapop!" He yelled, running to me and embracing me into a hug.

I grinned happily, wiping a tear. "Hey buddy. I see you really can't keep away from this treasure trove, huh?" He laughed and hooked an arm around my neck.

"See that nice 9 incher with the black and blue handle? That'll be mine." He whispered in my ear.

I looped my arm over his shoulder and laughed. "I missed ya, Two."

Two-Bit nodded and led me over to the nail aisle. "Y'know, Darry has been on everyone's case lately since... You know."

I shrugged, running a hand through my dry, in greased hair. "Man, I need a little grease!" I remarked.

"Hey!" Two exclaimed. "There's some car oil. That stuff works fine as long as it don't touch your face!"

I stared longingly at the car oil. "Gosh Two, that's a bright idea!" I sarcastically laughed.

"It's only a thought..." He replied jokingly upset.

>>awkward silence<<

"How about we walk to your place and grab a beer or two and watch some t.v.?" Two-Bit broke in.

I patted him on the back. "Now I'd love that, but you know I don't drink."

"I thought the slammer woulda changed ya..." He stopped. "A beer and a chocolate milk!"

"Now that I'd like."

Two-Bit lingered over the black & blue switch and finally nabbed it off the shelf. Then we left with Two-Bit's prize, and my excitement to something.

><><<><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
The next chapter will be 9394393 times better, I promise!!!
Question time!! If you could have one super power, what would it be??
I'd probably wanna be telekinetic so I could go Carrie but not full on Carrie because I don't wanna murder half the town. (: ily
><><<><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><