18: Kanaya's Phone Call

Sollux's POV:

"Wait, what?? Why do I have to go over all of a sudden? Is it someone's birthday?"

"No. It's... It's complicated to explain," Kanaya said over the phone, "I promised I wouldn't say anything. Just please come over. It's very important. We'll have food too, so don't bother eating anything."

"Fine, what time o I have to be over there?"
"Maybe six o'clock? We haven't really set a time, but I've been telling everyone to come between six and seven. The girls and I are making dinner for everyone so we can all eat together."
"That sounds nice. I guess I'll see you then?"
"Yes. Goodbye, dear." Kanaya hung up.

I sighed and laid back on my couch. Dave walked out from the bathroom, "Was that Kanaya on the phone?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"
"She called but I didn't answer since I was taking a shit."
"Ew, too much information." I laughed.
"Whatever. What did she want?"
"I guess everyone has to go over to her place tonight at six? I don't know what for, but they're making food for everyone."

"Sweet." He sat back down, "It's always fun when we go over there. It feels like we're all like... A family..." He smiled, but it eventually faded away, "Even though most of us aren't related... Well, I'm not really related to anyone anymore... I don't have Rose anymore, and I have no clue where Dirk has been... Probably off with his friends somewhere else..." He looked down.

I patted his back, "Hey. Blood doesn't mean anything anymore. You should know that. KK doesn't care, ED and FF don't care. Humans have red and we're all different. It has no meaning. Blood doesn't determine what a family is. A family is just a group of people who love and care for each other no matter the odds. We're all family. You're like a human brother to me." I smiled, "Like, you helped me when I was  ghost, right? And we barely even talked to each other before... But you still helped me. Kanaya's helping everyone around her and she loves everyone equally. I'm happy and thankful that everyone has been so caring for me after the hospital. You guys could have just left me hanging, but you didn't. You tried helping me remember everything. You guys must care a bunch to even go through that trouble. And the girls are making food for everyone tonight. They don't have to, but they're doing it anyways."

Dave smiled, "Yeah... Wait, how'd you know that we barely talked to each other before your incident? I don't ever remember saying that..."
"Oh uh, I don't know? I just assumed that we probably didn't talk a lot?"
"That's weird? Are you sure you just didn't remember anything small? Anything at all?"
"I don't think so? It just blurted out of my mouth. I wasn't even thinking really."

"Oh... Well, thanks for saying all of that. I appreciate it a lot." Dave patted my arm. The doorbell rang and Dave jumped up, "I'll get it!"
He ran to the door and opened it up. I looked at him and he seemed surprised.
"Oh hey, what are you doing here??"
"I came to see Sollux. I didn't know you were here..." In came Karkat, blushing as he passed Dave. He saw me and smiled, "Hey assface, did you get the call from Kanaya?"

"Yeah, just a few minutes ago."
"Good. I just came by to see if you did and to raid your kitchen for sweets. Kanaya said I couldn't have any until after the dinner tonight, but you all know I'm an impatient asshole." He turned and accidentally bumped into Dave, "Oops, sorry." He walked past him into the kitchen.

I looked and saw that Dave's face was entirely red. I smirked and mouthed for him to just ask him out already. He quickly shook his head no, mouthing 'no way'.

"Hey Sollux! Where the fuck are your cookies?!" Karkat yelled.
I smirked, "Oh, I put them high up on the shelf. Dave's going to go grab them for you! He's tall enough!"

Dave flipped me off and reluctantly went to the kitchen.
Yup, I'm a good friend for helping them hook up. They're obviously in love with each other. They're just in denial.
I could hear them awkwardly talk in the kitchen. Karkat mumbled 'thank you' and Dave mumbled 'no problem'. Then it was silent for a while, so I broke it, "Hey love birds, you're not making out in there, are you?"
"NOOOOOO!!!!!!" They both ran out and shouted.

"Heh heh. Suuuuuuuure. You guys don't have to lie. I bet you two will make out tonight at the dinner party. Maybe sneak off into a room together and get it oooonnnnnn~"
"OH FUCK YOU, SOLLUX! YOU HAVE SUCH A PERVERTED MIND!!!" Karkat's whole face was as red as a tomato, "I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AT KANAYA'S HOUSE!!!"
"So you're saying to would, just not at Kanaya's?" I smirked.

"Damn Karks, that's some kinky shit." Dave smiled. Karkat threw a cookie at him.

It's so much fun messing with them.