Chapter 55

Eden

I went over to the table, Christine and Katherine who were facing the direction I was coming from looked up and their eyes widened in surprise and horror. Both of them gestured for Bianca to stop talking, by waving their hands in front of her.

I was fuming at the insults and falsehoods.

"What?" Bianca asked confused, "You have to admit it's definitely strange that she would keep such a thing from her boyfriend. She's busted, thank goodness. So, trashy. She doesn't deserve either of them."

Both Christine and Katherine made abort signs by doing a cut throat movement over and over again, but Bianca seemed oblivious to it all as she was still in deep thought about the three of us, Levi, Keane and I.

"Ha! At least now the two guys know about her true face. About her wolf in sheepskin persona. Ugh," she finished and stared questioningly at her two colleagues in front of her, "What the hell is wrong with you two?"

I cleared my throat and she immediately turned around to look at me. Her face resembled that of a fish gasping for air on land, with her mouth opening and shutting several times before she found her voice, "Hey Eden. Have you seen the papers already?" She regained her composure and pointed at the paper on the table. I followed her finger and saw my other two colleagues too who were visibly uncomfortable and agitated.

Christine and Katherine stood up from their chairs and excused themselves, mumbling "Gotta get back to work. See yah!" Before hurrying away from us.

"Actually, I did."

"You're, hmm, one could say, famous now." Bianca stood up too to face me. The sneer and disdain in her face was clearly visible. "Famous for being a two-timing, gold digger. What do you think of that?"

I didn't want to get into an argument or anything, so I tried to calm myself down before speaking, "What is there to think about? I know it's not true, so."

Fully aware of the fact that I didn't owe her or anyone an explanation, I didn't say anything that would sound like I was defending myself. I was playing it cool, but my heart was racing, and my hands that were slowly beginning to sweat were balled into fists as I tried to calm myself down enough to continue.

"And, in my opinion, you're the one who just showed your true face," I lifted my hands and made apostrophes with my forefinger and middle finger in the air at the last two words, "Your bad mouthing just showed me what kind of a person you are. Quite frankly, I am very surprised and disappointed. I didn't think you're a mean person."

I turned around and left her there.

Mean person? Really? Really Eden? Wow. You showed it to her. Ugh. How old are you? Six? Calling another grown up 'mean' like a first grader. Megan will be proudly pissed of you if you tell her this. Ugh.

My whole body was flushed with adrenaline. I hated confrontation of any kind, and did my very best to avoid anymore of those for the rest of my shift. All of my colleagues seemed to have caught on my reserved attitude, as nobody else mentioned anything about the article. When it was time to go home, I was more than happy to leave.

*

Once I was outside of the hospital premises I immediately dialed Megan's number. I needed to vent. She answered my call right away.