Chapter 64

Eden

He was the one who just got off the elevator and was now standing in front of his apartment door trying to get in. And he still had the same clothes as last night.

What was the meaning of this? Where did he sleep? Why was he just coming home at this hour of day?

*

What should I do now? Should I just walk over there and confront him? He looked like he needed a shower or something. Maybe I should just leave him be and call him instead?

I thought long about what to do next and decided to give him some time and the chance to tell me everything on his own accord without me asking any questions. After forcing myself to move away from the front door and walk back to the living room, I calmed myself down by walking around my coffee table.

Give him time, give him time. Ten minutes? Fifteen? Then call. Yeah, that sounds fair.

I went to the kitchen and switched on the coffee machine and while the drink was brewing I went back to my bedroom to fetch my phone, preparing myself to call after exactly fifteen minutes.

Time passed by sluggishly. I repeatedly glanced at my phone to check the clock just to be disappointed over and over again because the fifteen minutes I gave myself still was not over.

Why am I doing this to myself? Why not just walk over there and demand what's going on? Well, because it is a delicate topic. His past with his ex did not end well, just like it did with me and Vic. Giving him some space and time is the right call given how understanding he had been about the Vic situation and his stupid roses.

Those thoughts calmed me down while I waited.

Finally after fifteen minutes I called Keane. The phone rang for a while and I already feared that I would have to leave a message on his mailbox, but then, "Hello," his voice sounded distracted.

"Hey, it's me," I said hesitantly as if I was scared of bothering him and I wondered why I felt that way, "are you busy?"

"No, well, a little bit. I just had a shower and am now putting on clothes because I have an appointment in," there was a short pause, probably to look at the time, "in less than thirty minutes."

He didn't mention a meeting for that day. I wonder who he was going to meet and I wanted to ask him. But before I could pose the question he cut me off, "I'm so sorry, but I have to hurry. It's an important meeting. Let's talk later okay?" his voice clearly sounded hasty, so I didn't want to stress him out further.

"Sure, okay. Call me," I said quickly.

"The meeting won't take long, I think. I'll call you." He hung up and my hand holding the phone to my ear just dropped as if the phone was too heavy to hold much longer. The conversation was not what I expected at all. I had hoped for an explanation or at least an invitation to come over to his place so we could talk. Instead he just brushed me off.

What was that all about? He came home wearing the same clothes as he did the previous night from the party and then just returns home to take a shower and change clothes before leaving again.

Was something the matter? An important meeting? He didn't mention a meeting for today and he normally tells me if he has any appointments so we can coordinate and plan our next date or whatever.

I didn't know how much time had passed until I realized that I had been standing on the same spot for a while since the phone call so I walked over to the living room and sat down on my couch. More of the same thoughts crossed my mind. I was upset, not intensely agitated, but restless. Something was bothering me and I just couldn't put my finger on it.