Chapter 68

Eden

"Just so you know," Vic began again, "I am going to press charges. I'm gonna sue the bastard."

I was stupefied by his words.

Oh no. This could not be happening. Even more drama. More crap in the tabloids. The whole buzz around me, Keane and Levi haven't died down yet, and now this. What should I do? Was there anything I could do?

I didn't reply to his final comment, but turned around to leave the room instead. "Try to lie down and rest," my voice was barely audible as I closed the door behind me. I could tell that he had been staring at me the whole time, watching my every move and facial expression, trying to foresee what I was going to do or say next. I didn't know myself.

After exiting the examination room I hurried to my locker to retrieve my phone. I dialed Keane's number immediately. There was no way I could go through the whole night without knowing what was going on. His phone didn't even ring and just went straight to voicemail. I left out a sigh of frustration. How could I possibly survive this night shift?

There was a little time left from my break so I decided to find a quiet place to think and reassess the situation. I was still in complete shock and disbelief about what Vic had told me. I understood his words, and there were pictures to corroborate his story but, it still felt off. That could not be everything to the story.

I took the elevator to the roof as I was sure there would be no one else there at this time of day. Fresh air would do me good as I felt suffocated inside the hospital after my encounter with Vic. The openness and the view from atop of the roof allowed me to take deep breaths and let my thoughts wander freely. The hustle and bustle were distracting me so it was the perfect place to ponder.

I began thinking about Vic's story from the start. Keane was in the café too and had heard our whole conversation. I still didn't know what to think about that fact. It irked me a little, but from his point of view I could understand why he did it. After all, he knew almost everything about my relationship with Vic. So, his protective instinct had to have set it.

Had I been in his situation I probably would have chosen to do the same thing. When I saw him and Amanda, I followed them too. Keane did the same and ended up in the café with us, probably to make sure I was okay. I understood him and already forgave his decision to listen in and watch me with Vic. It wasn't even something that needed forgiving.

Then the issue with Vic planning to sue Keane began to trouble me. There was already so much bad press written about Keane, a legal dispute will just add fuel into the already blazing fire. Where was Keane? Why hasn't he contacted me yet? What will he do about the whole situation? Was there anything I could do? I felt frustrated at my powerlessness; my inability to do something to help Keane.

Why did everything have to happen at once? Was everything just a coincidence?

First Vic came back into my life. His stupid insistence on gifting me with numerous bouquets of roses ruined my harmonious relationship with Keane. Naturally, I realized that that was exactly his purpose. Vic had to have known about me dating Keane since it has served as a juicy topic in the tabloids after he was introduced as James Holloway's son. Still, Vic sent those roses.

It was obvious that he wanted to cause a rift between Keane and me. I was suspicious. I began to wonder how far Vic would have gone to invigorate the ties we had in the past. Keane's alleged brutality towards him was just too inconceivable to me despite the pictures that clearly showed a violent physical encounter.

No. Vic could not have planned the whole scenario. That was simply impossible. Vic could not have known that I would pick up his call then, that I would ask us to meet, and that Keane would see us and follow us to the café.