Chapter 7: Dance, Part 2

Sweat was building up on my skin like a multi-layered cake, so much so you could have stuck a knife straight through it. I didn't care, though. Mark, Tim and I had been dancing practically the whole night, since our dates had left us for each other. 

"I don't mind, since I was the only one without a date," Tim had said when Mark and I first realised we were going to be date-less for the rest of the night.

Through The Chainsmokers, Bryan Adams, Selena Gomez and Cyndi Lauper, the three of us did not move off the dance floor. Occasionally, I would look over to where Georgia and Taylor were dancing together, stopping to point and giggle every now and then. It made me happy seeing Taylor so friendly with someone. I had never seen her like that with anyone in the one year I had known her.

Maybe Georgia wasn't that bad after all.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun quickly transitioned into a slow, soft intro provided by an acoustic guitar. Murmurs surfaced throughout the entire hall as the familiar tune made everybody grab a partner and slow dance.

"I'm going to ask one of the desperate single girls," Tim told me after Mark had left us to grab Georgia.

"Smart one, mixing with your own kind," I joked. Tim gave a fake laugh and then punched me in the arm before running off.

I looked towards where I had seen Taylor last and there she was, staring right at me. 

Take this sinking boat,
And point it home,
We've still got time.

I smiled and slowly made my way towards her. It felt as if time was frozen and all I could see was Taylor. She looked so beautiful in her dress, with her makeup done up and her hair hanging out loosely. She looked beautiful always, too.

I reached her and held out my hand, not wanting to use words and ruin this moment. Without looking away from my eyes, Taylor placed her hand in mine and allowed me to lead her all the way to the back of the hall, where almost no one else was. 

It was just the two of us in that moment.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and she placed hers around my neck as we began to rock back and forth. "You look beautiful," I told her again. I felt like I should have been telling her more, but I didn't want to overwhelm her.

Taylor didn't say anything, only pulled me closer to her, allowing her head to rest on my chest and my head on to rest on her shoulder.

Like that, we swayed. Like that, we stayed.

+++

It was the perfect night, and the entire drive back to Taylor's house I couldn't stop smiling. 

I made a quick stop, parking out the front of some random's house to pluck a bunch of white flowers that were hanging over their front fence. When I got back in the car I gave them to Taylor and she immediately smelled them.

"Thank you," she said. "They're beautiful."

"You're beautiful," I replied and it was silent for a moment before I grinned. "You can relax, that's the last time I'm going to tell you that tonight. I don't want to scare you away."

Taylor giggled - she actually giggled - and I continued towards her house.

When I arrived, I was about to lean in to hug her when I caught sight of the beautiful girl sitting beside me again and I realised this night needed to be special.

I turned the car off and got out, following Taylor up to her door step so I could say goodbye like a proper gentleman. She didn't question it, almost expecting it.