Chapter One

"Ace! Can you come downstairs for a minute doll?" I hear my father yell. "Yes Daddy!" I reply, jumping off of my bed and running down the stairs. My dad is waiting at the bottom of the steps. "Princess, daddy has to go out for a little while to do some business. Will you be alright here alone?" I nod sadly. It's scary when your dad is one of the most wanted criminals, the Joker, because everyone wants him dead. He could be killed any moment and I would lose my father and best friend. I lower my head to stop the approaching tears. He lifts my chin so I'm looking him in the eyes. "I know you don't like it when I go out, but I promise Ill come back safely very soon. Nothing will happen to me love. I promise." He kisses my forehead tenderly, then turns to leave. "Daddy!" He turns back to face me. I run to him and wrap my arms around his waist. "I just wanted to tell you that I love you." I look up and see him smiling at me. A real, genuine smile. "I love you too Ace. I'll be back shortly." With that, he walks out the door. I walk back up to my room, suddenly feeling very sleepy. I lay down on my bed, falling asleep almost instantly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I shoot up screaming as loudly as I can, sweat covering my body. My sobs fill the house. My vision clouds and I can't see straight. My fear is taking over my body and I can feel a panic attack coming on. I vaguely see my door swing open and someone run forward to me, pressing my forehead to theirs. "Just focus on me. Try to match your breathing with mine. In and out, that's it baby." My breathing begins to slow as I stare into the crystal blue eyes in front of me. My once loud cries are now mere whimpers. I feel a pair of arms wrap around me and I instantly calm down. "I-I'm sorry Daddy." He pulls me back to look at me, confusion evident on his face. "What ever for? You've done nothing wrong darling. Now, can you tell Daddy what caused you to be so upset?" I nod slowly. "I had the dream again..." His face shows a look of understanding as he pulls me to his chest, rubbing small circles on my back. "I'm sorry princess. I've got you now. She'll never hurt you again." I breathe in his musky smell and feel my muscles relax and tears slow. "I love you Daddy." "I love you too baby girl."