Chapter Sixteen

Third Person
Ace woke up in a dazed and confused state. She felt a sharp pain in her right leg, but she couldn't seem to recall what had caused it. "Daddy!" she screamed out, unaware that she was no longer home. She heard a low chuckle, prompting her to open her eyes for the first time. She gasped in shock. She was in a cell, surrounded by cement walls and one panel of bars. Just outside of the bars was a young man with light brown hair and piercing green eyes dressed in uniform. He must have been the one who had chuckled. "Hey there gorgeous. Nice to see you're finally awake. I thought you might have been dead, but I'm sure glad you're not. If you were dead, we wouldn't be able to have any fun, now would we?" Ace shuddered at his words. "Daddy!" she called out once again. "You're 'Daddy' isn't going to save you now. You're in Arkham, sweetheart. And there's no way you're getting out of here." Ace's eyes widened and mind began spinning. "Why am I here? I'm not crazy!" "What ever you say, sweetie. You're from the Jokers bloodline, so it's a pretty safe bet that you're a bit unhinged." Ace whimpered lightly and curled into a small ball in the corner. She willed herself not to cry, but it was useless. She let out a heart wrenching sob, feeling utterly hopeless. The guard's eyes soften, feeling rather sorry for the small girl before him. "Hey, Ace?" She looked up at the guard with her reddened eyes. "Please don't cry. I didn't mean to upset you so much." Ace smiled lightly despite her panic. "It's not you're fault, really. The situation is just awful. I just want my dad." "I'm Griffin, by the way." Ace stood and walked towards the bars. "Hello Griffin. It's very nice to meet you. Although it would have been much nicer if we didn't meet here." Griffin chuckled lightly. "Well I have to go check on the others. I'm sorry for all of this, but we have to be cautious, even if the prisoner is extremely beautiful." Ace's cheeks flushed. "What did you say?" Griffin only responded with a shy grin and turned on his heel, leaving Ace alone with her thoughts.