Chapter Fourteen

Third Person

After what seemed like ages, Ace and her father stopped their swings and stood up. "That was so much fun. Thank you so much." J nodded, but there was obviously something on his mind. "What's wrong Daddy? Did I do something wrong?" "No," he mumbled quietly. He reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards a bench. "Ace. You know I love you with all of my heart, right?" Ace giggled and nodded. "You're my world. And I thought I lost you. I'm just so sorry that I couldn't save you. Again." "Again?" "Can I tell you a story?" Ace nodded. "There once was this man. He didn't have anyone in his life that truly mattered, until his girlfriend gave birth to his beautiful daughter. He knew that he had to protect her from the outside world, no matter what. What he failed to realize was that the outside world wasn't the only thing he had to protect her from. It seemed that only the man recognized how perfect his child was. One day, when he arrived home, he found his worst nightmare coming true right before his eyes. His baby girl, laid on the cold ground, covered in her own blood. Above her, her mother, holding a knife. Her mother was jealous of her because she received all of the man's love. The man rushed forward to protect his daughter, but it was too late to spare her from the pain. The damage was done. He turned in his girlfriend anonymously, and she was taken away. This even destroyed the man. It had been his fault. He was supposed to protect his daughter. He knew that he had to try harder. Then, nearly 8 years later, the same thing was happening again. Of course, there were different people involved and different motives, but the same principle: the father was unable to protect his daughter again. This was the worst feeling he had ever felt. His daughter was severely injured, and it was all his fault. This terrified the man so much. He just wanted to be happy with his child." By the end, J had tears in his eyes, and Ace had silent tears sliding down her cheeks. "Was....was that about us?" J couldn't form words, so he just nodded. Ace leaned forward and wrapped her arms around J's waist in an attempt to hold all of his pieces together, as he was completely shattering in front of her. "I love you. This isn't your fault," she whispered. This caused J to let out a heart wrenching sob. Ace had never seen her father cry like this before. He never let his real emotions show like this. She held him tightly while he let out all of the frustration and fear he had been holding inside. After a few minutes, he sat up and wiped his cheeks hastily. "I..um..apologize for making a bit of a scene. It's just a lot." "I know. It's okay. Let's go home, yeah?" J simply sighed and stood up, grabbing Ace's hand and pulling her with him. He looked down at her and she smiled widely up at him.

Despite all of the pain he was feeling, J couldn't help but smile back.