Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Anakin lay awake in his bed on Naboo, thoughts racing through his mind at thousands of miles per hour. Rain pounded against his window. His emotions were driving him insane, his dreams had become even more unpleasant than they had been before. He sat up, his pillows and blankets drenched in sweat. Holding his head in his hands, he took a deep breath. He didn't know what to do, his Master wasn't there to help him. He needed Obi-Wan's advice, his guidance. Chewie wasn't enough in this case. Anakin needed a solution to his problem.

And his problem was that he loved Denali.

Every single moment of everyday, he thought of her. Her long flowing hair, hear sparkling blue eyes, her beautiful laughter, her gorgeous smile. He couldn't get her out of his head. He had known her for ten years, and for most of that time he was haunted by visions of her. Visions of her happy, sad, in pain. The one vision he could distinctly remember was a horrible nightmare. Denali was screaming in pain, as if she was being tortured.

Her screams echoed through his mind and seemed to bounce off the walls around him.

And then there was Padme.

She was constantly around him at every moment of the day, begging for his attention. He knew that she loved him, he knew that she cared for him. He could admit that she was beautiful, but not as beautiful as Denali. Sure she was kind and funny, but not like Denali was. The Senator knew how to make him laugh, but it was always forced laughter. It didn't come naturally like it did when he was with the blonde Jedi he had learned to grow attached to.

Denali had to love him back. He knew that there was something special between them, ever since they had met. He quickly pulled out the model of 'The Heart of the Robot' that Denali had created for him ten years ago. He held the cold metal in his warm sweaty hands. He held the heart close to his own, hoping that somewhere Denali was thinking of him as well. He prayed at she loved him, that she was in as much agony as he was at that moment. She had to be, he knew that there was nothing in the way of that fact.

But he knew that something was up. If she was truly in pain, he would've been able to sense it. Even though they were trillions of miles apart. Instead of feeling her suffering, he could sense that she was quite the opposite. He could fee her happiness, the muscles in his cheeks tense up as she smiled, the racing of her heart. Something was wrong with this picture, and Anakin knew exactly what. There was only one reason Denali could be feeling this way. His fears were confirmed when he was able to sense what she was thinking at that moment.

Obi-Wan.

Anakin stood up from bed, furious at his master, at the girl he loved, at himself. Lightning filled the sky, thunder boomed all around him. He grabbed the nearest thing to him and smashed it against the wall in anger. He heard the metal shatter beneath his hands. She didn't love him. She never had in the first place. Unknowingly, he continued to hit the wall, his anger radiating off of him like an aura. But as he finally became able to compose himself, he realized what he had done. In his hands, were pieces of broken metal. Small metal, around the size of the charm he had given Denali. He gasped in shock as tears began to flood into his eyes.

He had crushed 'The Heart of the Robot'.

He fell to his knees, his tears falling onto the floor around him as he felt the scattered remains of the model underneath his palms. He had ruined the only true thing he had left of Denali that belonged to him. The Heart was in pieces, just like his own. He imagined his own heart being the model, littered across the floor as if someone had crushed it with a gigantic hammer and decided to leave what was left of it on the ground. He leaned his back against the wall, pulling his knees to his chest.

He needed someone to care about him, anyone.

Then an idea came to him.

If Denali didn't love him, he would make her. He knew that somehow if she was encouraged enough, she would come running into his arms. She would forgive him for what he had done to the gift she had given him, and she would tell him that she loved him. They would live happily ever after, without anyone else in the way. But he needed to get her to love him, somehow.

"Ani! Is everything alright?" Padme shouted as she rushed into his bedroom. She saw him, drenched in sweat, tears in his eyes, sitting in a corner of the room. She quickly ran to him, hugging him. That was when a plan came to him, an awful, messed up plan. He hid his evil smile as she held him in her arms. She shushed him, gently kissed his cheek, then confine to hold him close.

"It's alright, Ani. I'm right here. Everything is fine." She whispered to him.

"Now that you're here." He whispered back to her. He knew what he was going to do.

He was going to make Denali jealous, no matter what it took.

Even if it meant using Padme, possibly even breaking her heart in the process.

**********

"Anakin." Denali said as she sat up in bed. Lightning clashed across the sky outside her window. She rubbed her eyes, sweat dripping down her neck and face, and looked at the clock. 4:34 in the morning on Kamino. She looked over to her right, and saw that Obi-Wan had woken up as well. He had a concerned and sleepy look on his face, large dark circles covered the diameter of his eyes.

"What's wrong?" He asked her sleepily. She looked out the window, her heart racing as the rain smashed against the glass. Suddenly, she didn't feel tired anymore. She got to her feet and nightgown given to her kindly by their hosts flowed behind her like a ghost. Obi-Wan watched her, suddenly becoming nervous. Something was wrong, the only problem was that he didn't know what. He hated it when the love of his life was hurting, and he didn't even know what was bothering her.

"I....I need..." She paused for a moment as she made her way to the bedroom door, her hand on the frame as she squeezed her eyes closed. Obi-Wan continued to watch, fear starting to boil in the pit of his stomach. "I'll be right back, go back to sleep." She whispered to him as she left the room, closing the door behind her. Obi-Wan sat there for a second, wondering what was wrong with his wife. He slowly stood up and walked towards the door. Thunder shouted in the wind, causing Obi-Wan to jump.

Denali got a cup from the cupboard and filled it with water from the faucet in the kitchen. She took a sip, thinking deeply about the dream she had just witnessed. Anakin was in pain, terrible pain. She could sense that his emotions were all over the place, and that was never a good thing when it came to Jedi. Slowly, she pulled the necklace around her neck from beneath her nightshirt. She saw the rings, they sparkled in the night. But she didn't pay much attention to them. Instead, she looked at the small wooden charm that had been carved by a small twelve-year-old boy many many years ago.

"Are you alright?" Denali heard a voice say behind her. She didn't turn around as she set the cup down on the kitchen tiled counter, her hands tightly gripping the edge of the tile till her knuckles turned white. Her eyes were closed as her long blonde hair fell over her shoulders, masking her face. No, she wasn't alright, but she didn't feel like admitting it at the moment.

"I'm fine, Obi." She whispered. She could feel a heart shattering, even though it wasn't her own. Then she felt two hands gently grab her shoulders, turning her around. Obi-Wan looked at her, gently tucking a loose strand of her long blonde hair behind her ear. He hugged her, knowing that something was definitely wrong now. But he didn't press the matter any further. She would eventually tell him when she was ready. He knew she would. She hugged him back, her tears staining Obi's white t-shirt as she buried her head in his chest.

"It's Ani." She whispered, her words barely audible over the sound of the raging storm outside. Obi-Wan held her tighter, hearing everything she said.

"He's hurting, he's hurting so badly. And I can feel it all, I can't stop the pain." She whispered to him, then began to sob. Obi-Wan gently wipe her tears away, wanting to tell her that everything was going to be alright. So that's exactly what he did. Obi-Wan tenderly kissed her cheek and gave her a small smile.

"Everything is going to be fine. Anakin is safe, he's okay." Obi-Wan whispered to her.

"He's like my little brother, I don't want him hurt." She whimpered to her husband. Obi-Wan hugged her tighter, not wanting to let her go........

....knowing that his Padawan didn't think of her as an older sister at all.