CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

The halfblood

The palace was magnificent. It was way better than the old palace that was replaced by a park and a thriving art museum.

This new palace was a breathtaking four storey building with glistening walls that looked like the stars were trapped in them but once you looked beneath the glittering stars you could see the white stone that shielded all there was inside the palace from being seen.

There was a terrace with concave railings that surrounded the palace and connected with the many buildings that made up the palace. And tall towers with the arches that had all the sculptures of halfbloods that had been ordered to be murdered by the old kings and Queens of this land in the old days.

As the guards allowed us inside the inner entrance of the palace I could do nothing but marvel at the flower beds on either side of the driveway and manicured lawn. There were ancient trees scattered and neatly trimmed bushes in the vast garden of the palace were birds and critters claimed residence.

On the far left side was a parking area were all the hovercrafts and hovercars could be seen. Some guards would hop in some of the hovercrafts and take off to run patrols all over the kingdom, no doubt from the unrest that came with Uffilian attacks from other cities, villages and even kingdoms.

I was glad the Queen was taking precautions, especially at a time like this. She wasn't ignorant which was a trait needed in any great Queen.

As soon as we entered the palace we were ushered to the throne room by one of the servants who had been waiting expectedly for us by the entrance.

The throne room was on the second floor of the main building. Guards lined every hallway or corridor, lazer spears erected from their grasps. They were clad in armour, looking just about ready to take on an army of darklings.

I wondered why I wasn't doing the same thing for my Kingdom. I knew I wasn't yet Queen but damned the darklings, I wanted to fight alongside my people. I guess that was the downside to being a keeper. I kept telling myself that I was not only fighting for my people but for all the nokuratus in the realms of Celenia. But sometimes it wasn't enough.

Father was strong but I was stronger than him. A lot stronger than his so-called army. Would they stand a chance if attached or will they fall like the many kingdoms that have already fallen and succumbed to the dark side.

Opening the massive set of doors that opened up to an impressive throne room, the servant motioned for us to enter and we did.

My gaze gravitated to the Queen who was listening to the complains of a farmer who was clearly in distress. The forest green overalls with a beige collared undershirt and a flat bamboo sun hat gave him away.

He kept making gestures with his hands, his words tumbling over one another in one unending sentence. And I could see the poor Queen trying to follow what he was saying but it was impossible.

" Deejan, do not worry. By the end of this week your water sources will be fixed and upgraded," reassured the Queen.

" Thank you,my Queen." The farmer rose up then scrambled out of the throne room without so much as a stolen glance our way.

I stared at the Queen who was rubbing at her temples, her face screwed up in discomfort. No doubt from a raging headache.

Her gaze finally fell on us and she straightened her posture, all traces of discomfort vanishing in a blink if an eye.

" I'm glad you are here," she started, rising from her throne. " It has been tough these days. The darkness keeps spreading all over the realms with no promises of ever coming to an end. "