CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

I woke up glued to the Queen like a koala. A part of me wanted us to remain that way. It made me feel sane, safe and wanted, although I doubted she wanted us to cross that line. For a good reason of course. Neither of us wanted to cross that line of no return.

We were both rulers to our kingdoms and lived far from each other. A union between us would cause either one of us to leave our kingdoms without leaders. We couldn't be that selfish. Being a royal blood came with a lot of obligations and sacrifices. Our duty was to our people, first and foremost.

In an alternate world where we weren't bound to our thrones I would have wasted no time courting her but as it turned out in reality, we were star-crossed. It was what we had to live with unfortunately but I knew that despite that we would always retain our friendship.

Untangling myself from her I got up then started throwing my clothes on. I didn't want to linger in her embrace in fear of getting too attached. To comfort was one thing but to spend countless hours entrapped in each others arms was a warning sign.

We both understood where we stood with each other. It was best not to complicate things.

My stare fell on her sleeping form. I couldn't help it. She was that captivating and ravishing . She seemed at peace in her slumber and I wanted to share in that tranquil state. She was like a gem just at the tip of my fingers but unreachable. To how I survived a night with her without jumping her bones was beyond me. Maybe I did indeed have some form of self restraint.

I turned away from the sight of the sleeping beauty, then I began to walk towards the exit fighting the urge to glimpse once more at my earth bound deity. Once I was out I decided to go and check on our prisoner.

It was still in the early hours of morning and most of the villagers were still deep in the clutches of slumber and some were probably trying by all means necessary to drain out every ounce of sleep they had by snoozing. Only the guards protecting the village were up and performing their duties.

While some guards were posted in different parts of the village, others were on the outskirts of the village, spears and machetes in hand.

I headed straight for the cells, my head filled with murderous intent, my heart filled with determination.

If Domathian was an Uffilian surely he had to have been conspiring with our enemies to destroy us. How else could the Uffilians have known how to successfully find us all the time. It must have been by his aid.

I willed my talons to grow a good ten inches tall. If my verbal threats wouldn't get the answers I desperately needed then my talons would do the trick.

I stood above the cell the Uffilian was held in then glared down at him. He was picking at his nails absentmindedly while his hair wove itself into loose braids. He was decked in the same rags I had last seen him wearing. But despite the rough treatment he was subjected to he was not ravaged by the torment he went through on a daily basis nor did he seem at all miserable. His skin remained as unblemished as the day he was thrown into this cell.

It was quite perplexing how he kept his sanity in the dingy, mould ridden cell. Most would have lost their will to live

" What can I do you for?" He looked up at me, his stare lacking the malice I had hoped I would get. I wanted him to express the rage he must have felt. I wanted him to shout poisonous words, haunting threats and I wanted him to act hysterically.That would give me more reason to end him. But he wasn't doing any of that, if anything, he looked calm and relaxed. And that only made me think he was taunting me.

" You disgust me," I sneered at him, pouring as much hatred as I could muster through my glare.

" Do I now? And what have I supposedly done this time to warrant such distaste from you ?"