Chapter Nine: Pete

Opening my eyes, I glanced around the room before my eyes settled onto Gabriel's sleeping form. His long blonde hair was falling down into his eyes, his chest slowly rising up and down. I briefly looked down at his sling, making me frown before looking away. I know I wasn't the one who hurt him, but it still feels like it. Gabriel seems to enjoy talking about Reno, and maybe he enjoyed talking to him more than me. Reno was the one who always jumped to action; I was too scared to do anything when Gabriel got hit. No wonder he would want to be around Reno more than me. Reno would actually be able to protect him... and what can I do? Run away from all of life's problems? He doesn't deserve someone like that.

A soft moan was making me turn to see those light blue eyes slowly start to open. When he saw me he smiled, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "Mm hi Pete."

I couldn't help but look away, a strange tingling forming in my chest. Was he really happy to see me, or was it because there wasn't anyone else? "Hi," I whispered back with hardly any emotion.

"Are you okay?" He asked, worry filling his pretty eyes. I watched as he leaned onto his good elbow, his hair falling down onto my chest.

"Do you hate me?"

He looked confused, his light eyebrows scrunching up together on his face. "Why would I hate you?"

"I'm not sure what happened, but I think I drove Reno away. I think you and him were finally starting to get along. He was probably really sick of always having to come to my rescue. I'm sorry Gabriel, I'm sorry for driving him away."

Gabriel frowned before he said, "You weren't the one who drove him away. I think Reno was just afraid that people were actually starting to really care about him. Please don't think that I would ever hate you. I'm never going to hate you or blame you for anything Pete. You're just as special to me as Reno is. It... it's hard for me to explain because I've never felt like this about anyone before. It feels like you complete me, both of you do."

Before I could process what was happening, Gabriel was suddenly leaning down and gently pressing his lips against mine. This felt so foreign and strange, since this was the first time anyone had kissed me. He didn't kiss me very long, but it was long enough for my entire body to tingle. Butterflies were in my stomach by the time he pulled away. He looked down at me and smiled, his thumb moving along my cheek.

He then leaned his head onto my chest, his hair tickling my chin. Wrapping my arms around him, I stared up at the ceiling as a smile came onto my lips. I really hadn't felt this happy in a long time.

We stayed in bed for a little while longer, until Gabriel got up to shower. Once he left I slowly made my way out into the kitchen, to see Francine making breakfast. She was making French toast while a computer was open next to her, different colors splashed onto the screen. When she heard me she looked up and smiled before saying, "Good morning dear. Would you like any breakfast?"

"Sure," I whispered while sitting down at the table. My eyes glanced over at the clock, noticing it was only 5:30. "Are you always up this early?"

"I could ask you the same question," she said with a smile while placing a plate in front of me. "My days usually do start early, especially when I'm working on a new client. What made you get up so early?"

Shrugging, I slowly took a bite of the delicious French toast before saying, "Gabriel went and took a shower."

"Ah I see, it does take him a little longer to shower now."