Chapter Thirty-Nine

It's been two days since the whole... thing.
Harry hasn't spoken to Draco since then, let alone looked him in the eyes.
He wouldn't be able to stand it: looking into his eyes. He'd look at Harry like he was a freak; he'd wonder why he helped him; he doesn't remember.

But, the one time Harry did look him in the eyes, they were clouded over. Empty. Grey.
Harry took up a big part of Draco's year... he's missing most of this year. And he doesn't know. He doesn't know why or how. He's so... lost. Harry can tell.
But he can't do anything to help.

Like now, sitting at the Gryffindor table. Draco's sitting next to Pansy and Astoria.
Astoria's running her hand through his hair; kissing his cheek- his lips.... and every so often she'll look over at Harry, meet his gaze. She'll smirk, and continue rubbing her body all over him.
He seems so uncomfortable- but he doesn't push her away.
Harry almost wanted to stand up and scream; "he's mine! Don't touch him! He doesn't love you!"

But he doesn't.
He kept it inside himself.

Every so often Harry will catch Pansy's gaze. It's filled with sorrow. Like she's apologizing to him.
She must've known about Draco and him.
She gives him a sad smile before she turns back to Astoria, almost glaring. Does she know what Astoria did? They she's the one who wiped Draco's memory?

Harry sighed and looked back at his plate.

Hermione has been bugging him to eat since they came in- so, for fifteen minutes now. Ron was going over the quidditch plan- ah, yes. Quidditch game tomorrow. Gryffindor against Slytherin.
And Harry has decided that he's playing.
He's definitely not fully healed. It still hurts to sit down- let alone walk. His ribs hurt like a bitch. But he ignores it. He's playing the game.
He went to the last practice and almost died, but it's okay. He'll manage. He's determined to play.

"Harry," Ron said, "you need to eat. You need your energy, especially if you're going to play quidditch."

Harry nodded, "I know. I just don't have much of an appetite."

"Atleast eat some of it." Hermione begged.

Harry looked at her.
She had dark bags under her eyes- and he could tell why. She hasn't admitted it, but Harry knows she spends all night at the library, trying to find books on how to get memory back. He knows she has. He can just... tell.
He always feels guilty when he looks at them.
I'm wearing them out, he thought to himself.

Friends aren't supposed to make friends miserable... and that's what he's doing. They're all worried about him. Asking how he is. Worried about his health, about his sleeping and eating habits. And he never pay them back. Ever.

Guilt instantly overwhelms him.

"I..." he looked away from Hermione, back to his plate.

He begins eating quietly. He doesn't want them to worry.
They deserve better.

"'mione," Harry said, "You shouldn't stay up all night at the library."

She looked over at him, "what do you mean?"

"I know you've been up at the library. I saw you, not long ago."

She sighed and put the book she was reading down, "I'm just trying to help you."

"You..." Harry paused and looked up at her again, "You shouldn't... do that to yourself. You need to put your health before mine."

She smiled sadly; "don't worry about me, Harry. I'm used to this. I stay up all night studying anyway." She looked at Ron, "I just want you to be happy. We both do. Draco made you happy, and it isn't fair that he was ripped away from you."

***

Quidditch.
Harry is finally back to playing quidditch.
He stood in the field with the rest of his team, facing slytherin.
People are cheering all around, some for Gryffindor, some for Slytherin.

They all mount their brooms- Harry's ribs hurting like a bitch- and fly upwards.

As soon as the game starts Harry flew higher above everyone, looking for the snitch.

It never comes out early. Ever.

His eyes trail to Draco, who apparently had the same idea as him, and was scanning below for the snitch.

Focus.

Finally, out of the corner of Harry's eye- and after 50 points to slytherin- He caught a glimpse of gold zoom past him.

Harry immediately dove after it, Draco trailing behind him.

Harry's ribs are preventing him to stretch his arm out far enough to catch the snitch. They're making him feel woozy. Light headed. But the snitch is just in front of him... he just needed to stretch a bit farther.

Draco is by his side now, his arm reaching out in front of him as well, trying to catch the snitch.

Just as Harry was about to grab it, a sudden pain burst through his sides.
He yelled in pain and attempted to steady himself.
He's dizzy now. He can't focus on anyt thing. He lost the snitch. his stomach hurts. His sides are throbbing. His head pounding.

He tried to stay steady, but it isn't working. The world is spinning.
If he falls he's sure to hurt his ribs even more; probably fracture them even more.

But then his world went black, and suddenly he was falling. The last words he could hear was someone screaming.

"Potter!"