Chapter 27

Literally me right now ^^
I had finals this week ugh

Sorry if it's rushed, this chapter took me a long time to write for some reason

Oh, and don't forget to comment and vote!

- Sparks <3

—------------------------------------------—

The ride home is just as long, tedious, and exhausting as he expected it would be. His eyes feel like they're going to fall out of his head, it's pounding that badly, and what's worse is that he's always known that he can't fall asleep in moving vehicles. He can close his eyes and pray to be dragged into a light sleep, but every time he comes close, his head snaps back up and he groans. Harry fell asleep a while ago, his eyelids fluttering peacefully and his body slumped in the most awkward position with the seatbelt. Louis envies him for being able to sleep like that.

The car seat vibrates along with the bumps in the road, and the seat belt leaves harsh red marks on his skin. His mouth tastes sour, his cheek warm from where he'd been resting it against the seat, and his thoughts swarm his head like bees. He can see their parents' linked hands over the console, his step mum's ring sparkling, and he can't help but wonder why they didn't even bother to tell them. It seems like they've been trying to keep it a secret, Harry's mum slipping her hands into gloves before they left, but now he can see they're placed in her lap and she seems quite content staring down at it and admiring it as if it's going to combust into flames and disappear just like that. Yet she said nothing.

His dad didn't even tell him, and they tell each other everything. At least they used to. It was him and Louis against the world, but now...now he's starting to think he's not his number one priority anymore, and, honestly, he's a bit bitter about it.

Then there's the fact that their dad makes them pick up a couple bags of chips on the way over. Just because it's the nice thing to do, and since we're the guests, it's the least we could do. Which, not really. Because knowing Niall's mum, she's made an entire buffet of food for the occasion. And he definitely thinks all of those elderly people who will be there will appreciate the bits of chips in their dentures.

Harry only jolts awake when they're about a block from Niall's, his long body cracking as he stretches out next to him. He looks blissful, his expression sleepy and his lips turned up in a lazy way. Louis just feels beat. From everything.

"How long have you and Niall been friends, Louis?"

He wants to moan and just ignore her, but he figures that'd be rude, so he tries to rack his mess of a brain. It physically hurts, and he reaches up to rub his head. "Since the beginning of high school."

"I haven't heard much about him. Maybe you can tell me a little bit about him or his family. He plays football as well, correct? What position does he play?"