Ten

The days, turned into weeks, turned into months. It was me and Ayato's six month anniversary. But lately, he's been drifting away from me. I've tried to catch his attention, but he doesn't notice me. Am I ghost? 

I've been meaning to confront him, but I'm afraid to. But what am I afraid of? Him telling me I'm stupid or the not so subtle thing he's been doing when he goes out? 

I just go to bed by myself, he doesn't get back until early in the morning. I can hear the window open from the side and someone climbing in. He reeks of blood. But I can't tell if it's his. He probably went out to binge eat or something. But still it gets annoying. 

"I know you're up" 

"I'm not" 

"Whatever" 

"Why do you reek of blood?" 

I heard him stop in his tracks "I ate" 

"So, you've been eating for the last week then." 

"N-No... I can't say though.."

"Then at least say something! Because I actually worry about you" 

"No you don't" 

"Yes I do, then why do you think I've been trying to get your attention? It's so that you can talk to me!" 

"Look (Y/N) why don't you just shut up?" 

"Fine then." I got up and put on my jacket and mask. 

"Where do you think you're going?" 

"Out." 

"No! Stay here!" 

"No. Why do you care so much?" 

I walked out of the door and jumped out of the window in the hall. I began to walk on the street with my mask in my pocket. I sighed a little bit, clearing my head. 

"I just can't deal with him sometimes" I muttered to myself. I heard footsteps behind me but it didn't bother me. I could fight them off. 

They started getting faster and faster. I could feel someone running up to me. I turned around and there was a full on ghoul with red eyes coming at me. I related my kagune and shot him in the stomach. 

Using this time, I ran away from the ghoul and into a warehouse. I hid out in one of the storage rooms. But there was something unsettling about the room. I smell blood?

"(Y/N)?" I heard a familiar voice yell from outside. I got up and stood from the storage unit. 

"Ayato?" 

His familiar figure ran over to me and hugged me. I smelled blood on him. I pulled away and took a good long look at his face.

It's covered in blood. 

"Ayato. Why are you covered in blood?" 

He fell into my arms and began to cough up blood. 

"Ayato! What happened?" 

"H-He... Was gonna... Kill y-you" 

"Who?" 

He closed his eyes and I felt his body go limp. I rested him on the floor. I dialed Touka's number and she picked up. 

"(Y/N)-"

"Help!"

"What's happened (Y/N)!"

"A-Ayato! He's bleeding! He's not healing either!"

"Screw him-"

"He saved my life!"

She fell silent before she spoke again. "Bring him here." 

----

I brought him to the same coffee shop we both once lived in before. Touka immediately ran up to me and Ayato, who was currently being dragged by my weak arms. 

"He hasn't stopped bleeding yet?" 

"No! Help me please!" I pleaded. The both of us dragged him into his old room and set him down. I pulled up his shirt and saw a huge wound on his abdomen. 

"I'll get the medical supplies!" Touka said and ran out of the door. 

I stood there as Ayato was so close to dying. I prayed in my head for the best. Touka quickly ran back in and took out the bandages.

"Lift him up a bit" she said. I lifted him up and she wrapped the bandages around his stomach. The bleeding stopped and I could hear his breathing become more stable. 

"What happened?" Touka said with a serious face. 

"We both got into a fight, I ran out and saw another ghoul on the street. He tried to eat me but I ran away from his quick enough. I hid out at an old warehouse and that's when I saw Ayato come to me. Drenched in blood. He said that 'he would come for me' and then he blacked out" 

"Who's he?" 

"That I don't know"

"We'll wait until he wakes up. In the meantime, you want some coffee?" 

"I would." We both walked put and Touka began to prepare two cups of coffee for the both of us. She gave the fresh cup of coffee to me and I took a sip of the bittersweet liquid. 

"I miss this" I confessed. 

"Come back then." 

"I can't"

"Why not?" 

"Kaneki is still there. I have to keep an eye on him"

"Why?"

"He's been eating. Not just humans but ghouls as well. I need to keep him in check before he goes rouge."

"I supposed that would be for the best." 

"He ate Jason's kagune I believe" 

"I see. Both Jason and Rize are within him now"

"I feel bad. He's suffering. But that's not my fault" 

"It isn't"