15- First Place

HAILEY'S POV

"Hailey Blanc?" I was walking down the hallway, my textbooks in hand, as my Thursday classes had just ended when I heard the voice. I thought I was alone because I had taken a different corridor than the usual one to avoid Harry and Draco. The voice belonged to a man. I couldn't place it at first until I put a face to his words.

"Good afternoon." He spoke again and he walked towards me. I was in trouble, I knew it.

"I'm sorry, Sir. I know I shouldn't be in this corridor but I-" I started but he put up a hand.

"Nonsense, Hailey. May I speak to you in my office?" He asked and of course, I agreed. How do you say no to the Hogwarts headmaster?

Dumbledore waited until I caught up with him and started walking, leading me down hallways I didn't know existed until we reached a giant statue. The statue was a very large gargoyle with its wings spread wide.

"Sherbet Lemon," Dumbledore said quietly and I watched as the gargoyle sprung to life, turning slowly.

"I'm supposed to change the password once a year, but I enjoy my password. It's easy to remember and tasty too." He mentioned to me and once the gargoyle had stopped turning, walked towards it. Once I got closer, I saw what the awful lighting failed to show me: the back of the gargoyle contained stairs. He mounted the first step and once he realized I hadn't followed (as I assumed he'd begin to climb them) he grabbed my wrist and yanked gently, (almost causing me to drop my textbooks) pulling me onto the steps just as the Griffin began turning again. The Griffin turned for a longer time than I expected and when it finally revealed Dumbledores office, I was quite dizzy.

"You may put your books here and please, take a seat." He held his hand out towards a comfy looking chair in front of his large elder wood desk. I did as told and he put his hands together, his elbows resting on the desk. "The first task is tomorrow," He informed me as if I didn't know already. "Tell me you have a plan." He continued and I mentally cursed. Of course I didn't have a plan. All I knew was that there were dragons involved. I had no idea how to battle a dragon, or if that was even what we would have to do.

"No, Sir." I shook my head and he gave me a fearful look.

"Do you have any idea what the task is about?" He asked.

"Yes. Dragons, Sir." I quickly shut my mouth after spilling as I didn't know if I was allowed to know, but Dumbledore seemed happy I knew.

"Well that's a start," He smiled before taking a breath.

"I'm not sure if anyone's told you, Hailey, but help will always be given to those at Hogwarts who ask for it." He stood up and walked over to a shelf on his wall, staring at a musty old hat on top of the shelf.

"But I disagree. I have faith help will always be given to those at Hogwarts, who deserve it."

///

I didn't bother going back to my dorm first, I headed straight for the library. I would look up every book the Hogwarts library had on dragons and hopefully I would find something, anything, that would help me Saturday.

"Why so tense, Potter?" I heard a familiar voice taunt and knew I had to stay and watch. I really thought Draco was done with this side of him, or maybe it was all just an act he put on around me.

I decided not to interfere yet, I wanted to see what Draco did when he didn't know I was around. I wondered if I even knew the real him as I watched. He taunted Harry and pulled his wand on him, and I was shocked and was about to run and stop them when I saw Harry's wand behind his back. I froze momentarily, Harry was going to fight Draco. Now I was mad.