32- The Clue

HARRY'S POV

"Harry, you told me you'd figured the egg out weeks ago! The task is in two days from now!" Hermione screeched at me. It was Thursday, and we were standing on the bridge that I loved staring out of so much. It was something about the view that drew me in every time.

"Really? I had no idea. I suppose Viktor's already figured it out." I sighed as I put my head in my hands, my elbows resting on the edge of the railing.

"I wouldn't know, we didn't actually talk about the tournament... Actually, we didn't really talk at all, Viktor's more of a physical being," I couldn't stifle the laugh that escaped the frown on my lips as she hit me playfully, grinning herself. "I just mean he's not particularly loquacious... he mostly watches me study, it's a bit annoying actually. You are trying to figure this egg out aren't you?" I could feel Hermione's sad eyes on me as she asked her question softly. Before I could think, I opened my mouth.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snapped. I felt a little bad for snapping at Hermione, but she made it sound like I didn't care. Didn't she know I had bigger problems than the tournament right now? Between my scar, my sister and her boys, and of course that re-occurring dream, I barely have enough time to finish my Potions papers.

"I mean these tasks are meant to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And um," Hermione paused for a moment while I took in her words, remembering that Hermione Granger had never once before been wrong. I looked the other way in defeat and heard the swish of wind behind me, then saw her head pop out in the direction I was looking. "I'm scared for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve, I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time." I turned away again and heard her sigh. She was right. I only had 2 days... what was I going to do?

Before anything else could cross my mind, a familiar voice rang through my head.

"Hey, Potter!" I pushed myself off the bridge and began to walk briskly back to the castle. I heard someone running behind me and then felt a hand grab my shoulder. "Potter!" An out-of-breath Cedric wheezed. He put his hands on his knees and breathed.

"Cedric," I said somewhat politely and began to walk away again. Cedric Diggory was one of the last people I wanted to talk to right now. Not only is he dating my sister, but he also took my girl to the Yule Ball.

"How are you?" Cedric was breathing normally again now and stopped me once more.

"Spectacular," I said with one of my eyebrows raised. What could he possibly want from me?

"Look I realize I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons." He began. I thought of the first thing that would shut him up and said it.

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would have done the same for me." And with that, I turned once more and began walking away.

"Exactly. You know the prefect's bathroom on the fifth floor?" Confused but curious, I immediately turned back around to look at him. I nodded. "It's not a bad place for a bath." He leaned in slightly and whispered. "Just take your egg and- mull things over in the hot water." He chuckled a little and looked down, before running back over to his group of friends I didn't realize were watching. I quickly scanned the group but didn't spot Hailey's familiar dark locks of hair. Trying hard to remember Cedric's exact instructions, I briskly walked in the opposite direction Cedric just had and finally reached the castle. The task was only 2 days from now, I had to try anything, no matter how stupid it sounded.

I ran through the halls to Gryffindor tower. The sun was beginning to set which was perfect, the Prefects would be at dinner and the bathroom would hopefully be empty. I quickly muttered the password to The Fat Lady who grumbled something about her voice as the portrait swung open. Almost tripping on the stairs, I threw myself into my dorm door and ran in, barely noticing my best friend sitting on his bed, staring at the floor.