Chapter 15: Two Steps Forward One Step Back

Tuesday, May 31st

(Y/n) stepped out of the bus, repeat checking the hour for the hundredth time since she left her school. The girl was extra attentive to arrive back at her workplace, minimising the chances of getting scolded by the older worker on the premises.

She was consequently mentally exhausted due to the consistent explanations she was forced to give her friends over the events of the previous day. The girl had managed to quench their curiosity with the added expense of frustration that drained her energy. Frowning throughout the whole walk from the bus stop to the house, the girl stopped for only a single moment to take a very deep breath, hold it, and exhale with a small sigh.

As she approached the gate she was immediately greeted by a scowling face that seemed just as enthused over the girl's company as she was over his. The pair watched each other from a distance, seeming to wait for the other to speak first in order to break the thick wall of heavy air that surrounded them.

Nori eventually grunted out in annoyance before beaconing for her to approach him. Complying with the command, the girl walked towards the awaiting man as she simply waited for his instruction, hoping the day would pass as quickly as possible. Nori waved his hands at her, gesturing for her to hand him an item. After staring at his motions with puzzlement, she figured out what the likeliest necessity could be and handed him her schedule.

(Y/n) felt the interaction to be twisted in awkwardness. They hadn't even spoken a word to one another since they connected sights and neither of them seemed interested in conversing with the other's company. For the longest time, the girl thought that their whole day would only consist of sign language and distasteful grunts and hums before the man finally sounded his voice. "Your duties for the day are simple, I doubt you'll need me at your every beck and call so I'll simply show you the basics for each task and trust that you have half the brain to repeat." (Y/n) gave him an irked stare, annoyed at his degrading and derogatory attitude towards her with the disrespectful undertone.

The man turned his back to her and began walking towards the building, expecting the female to follow in his tracks. (Y/n) reluctantly pursued the worker, hoping to give him as little incentive to scold her as possible.

As they ascended the stairs and followed in the track towards their next destination, Nori continued nagging the female in a stern tone, "I'll give you one hour to finish this task. You're only organising the library so this should be sufficient enough for your brain. Unless you don't know the alphabet, there's no excuse for you to slack off." Through the whole journey, the female had to press down her temper before it would rise to a boiling point as she blocked out his demeaning undertones and comments.

As they neared the library, the man proceeded to enter without regarding the female with the politeness of holding the door for her. (Y/n) watched as he pointed out all the books, novels, writing tools and encyclopedias stacked on tables, chairs and the floor before explaining their order on top of the empty shelves. After the man was finished, he roughly pushed a heavy book into the girl's body before glaring down at her with doubtful eyes.

"One hour. If you are not done by then I'll personally take down each and every book there is in here and make you dust the entire room and assort them back to their rightful places. Understood?" The girl looked around at the dozens of shelves she was threatened with before looking back at the man.

"Yes Sir." She answered, clearing the way for the man to pass her before he could shove her to the side. As she was left on her own, the female grunted as she looked around the chunks of papers, books and equipment to sigh to herself.

(Y/n) wondered around the room, searching for a section that would count as her starting point. Sliding her gaze through each small pile, she figured her best decision would be to assort the columns of unused writing papers and put them back in the cabinets for later use.