Chapter 29: Grief

Monday, Jun 6th

(Y/n) exhaustedly sighed, passing slowly down the stairs while concerns and assumptions loomed over her head. She subconsciously furrowed her brow to distinguish worry lines on her features as her mind floated thoughts and shady scenarios through. 'Maeda hasn't been responding to me...wish the school day would be over so I can visit her house.'

Reaching the final step of the stairs, she noticed a figure staring silently at the closed front door before her, as though in a hypnotic daze that sent her way from the real world. The woman hadn't noticed her daughter walking onto the scene and seemed completely detached from reality as she allowed her own mind to bustle with thoughts and anxiousness.

"Mom, you ok?" Upon the indication of a separate voice, the recesses of the worker's mind were shut off to bring the female's consciousness to surface back with a small gasp of surprise. The younger girl stared at the reaction before raising a bemused eyebrow. "Sorry, did I interrupt something?" She question, causing the woman to begin her fixture on her clothing, realising how she had left the job half done before zoning out.

"Sorry, I just started thinking and got way too absorbed." She simply excused before pausing any intention of proceeding with her morning routine. Before the student had an opportunity to continue with her personal schedule, her parent called out preliminary to the moment passing. "(Y/n) could I ask you something?" The girl paused at the request, watching her mother's serious face staring back at her for an answer.

"Sure, did I do something wrong?" She nervously quizzed, being responded with a dismissive shake of the head.

"No, no. Well...maybe..." The woman became unsure of whether it was her place to inquire her suspicions before deciding through the guidance of her curiosity. "I just wanted to ask...do any of the boys have a liking to you?" She asked, unable to hold back the connecting dots from her experiences the previous day.

(Y/n) tilted her head in slight confusion, unable to follow the inferred analysis. "Boys? Liking?" She responded in her own questioning tone, trying to figure if any male's from her school could be possibly being indicated.

"I mean from my work. And by 'liking' I mean...maybe...crush?" The parent progressively squeaked out, trying to dull down the awkwardness of the atmosphere as her daughter took it in.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened in realisation right before furrowing in further confusion. "Oh, them? Why do you ask?" The woman pressed her lips in tight contemplation and lowering her eyebrows in tactful thinking.

"It's just...yesterday they gave me really unusual reactions when I told them you won't be coming anymore." (Y/n) slowly twisted her face in intrigue before indicating for an example. "Well, Gennai especially seemed offended and personally affected by the situation." Once her mind transitioned to her interactions with the said house member, she immediately had to fix on a forced smile out of defensive reflex.

(Y/n)'s eyes became glued to the ceiling as she tried to imagine what her mother was insinuating before immediately coming to the conclusion of what the boy's outburst would consist of. She couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards the woman once she was reminded of the younger brother's uncompromising and adamant mannerisms. The girl moved her attention to the main point her parent had proposed and began doubtfully constructing variables against the claim.

"I don't really think any of them have a thing for me. I'd actually argue the opposite for some of them." She bitterly concluded, reminding herself of the more aggressive and hostile members of the household. The younger female hadn't noticed any conclusive and definite indications that would solidify the claim, and frankly felt more accustomed to believing their relationships to be nothing more than friendly. The girl gave her parent a reassuring simper before completely dismissing the speculative inquiry. "Gennai has just been looking up to me like a big sister lately, that's probably why he was so upset with my leave."