Chapter 16: Start Of Somethings

Wednesday, June 1st

(Y/n) kept a slow and dragging pace towards her assigned terminus in the form of a bus stop. She had found her day at school completely draining, continuously having to force her mind out of any paranoid thoughts circulating her working environment. Often finding herself being haunted by the image of a low and venomous voice, uttering threats in her ear, she was fatigued by the clearly unwelcoming atmosphere that was brought with her destination.

'What will I be expecting this time...? After yesterday, his harassment will just escalate from this point on. What will I do now...?' As she half-heartedly placed one foot after the other to continue with her elongated travel, right before she felt a hand lightly pat her head. Under the deluded panic over her paranoid state, she was almost inclined to yelp at the sudden touch, holding back when she noticed the individual's identity. "Mikah, you startled me..."

The male gazed down at the girl who remained tense and unnerved as she avoided his sights. The boy analytically eyed her as he adjusted to her lagging pace along the trail. "You've been very quiet since yesterday. Did something happen at work?" He allowed the female to dawdle in her hesitation to explain as she could tell there was no possible outcome that would end in the avoidance of her foul mood.

"One of the guys living there is giving me some trouble..." The boy raised an eyebrow at the reveal before giving a prompt hum as his response. (Y/n) lowered her gaze, dreading the prospect of arriving at the bus stop and taking an hour journey towards a place where she was indefinitely unwelcomed.

"What did you do?" The male quizzed, making his sibling frown at him for the distrusting statement.

"I did absolutely nothing. He just became so hostile in a matter of seconds. I didn't even see it coming." Mikah huffs out his response, reaching into his bag to create crackling noises of a plastic material. As the girl heard the sound approaching her ear, she turns around to see a bag of crisps looming beside her head.

"Want some?" He offered her, making the female converge her eyebrows in a disinterested expression.

"Are you even listening...?" She sighed out, feeling as though her only hope of venting was betraying her. The boy retracted his offering before taking his share of the snack as he further inquired on the details of her bothers. "I don't exactly know what happened...I guess he just doesn't like me getting close to his brother. He said 'don't take big brother away from me' and ever since then he's just bullying me around the house...Can you make sense of this?" The girl looked towards her hands that held the bruises and marks from his previous antics, wincing slightly as she flexed the skin.

She glanced at her brother to see him looking up, thoughtfulness radiating in his eyes before he looked down at her with a cocked up brow. "I thought you'd get where he's coming from." (Y/n) gaped at her brother, scouting for inclinations that would give away any sign of sarcasm.

"Huh?! What are you trying to say with that?" She indignantly demanded, earning a disappointed exhale from the boy.

"He seems worried that you'd take away his brother away from him, right? Have you considered why he feels that way?" The girl seemed slightly lost at the male's words. Mikah gathered up a logical analogy that would aid in his sister's comprehension. "Wouldn't you be upset if I suddenly disappeared from your life?"

(Y/n) watched him, processing his logistics and scenario before scoffing at the query. "That's completely different. You're making it sound like I'm going to kill his brother, or run away with him. The circumstances are not the same." She retorted back, looking away from her sibling as she felt the fleeting sense of hope for help disappearing from her.