Chapter 17: Death Wishes

(Y/n) placed the filthied bucket under the tap, making sure to rinse the contents and clean her hands before using her palms to properly wash away the remaining crimson liquid with bleach. After finalising the washing up, she wiped her hands dry on her clothes before placing her palm against her forehead. She could feel her temperature has risen, not in response to the warm surroundings but the own anxiety of her body.

'God I'm going to make myself sick if I keep thinking about this...just stay calm (Y/n), simply do your work as best as you can.' Giving herself a final pump of motivation, the female turned the tap in the rotation that subsequently stopped its flow of water before looking down at the filled up, metal bucket. Despite its clean exterior and interior, she felt a shudder as shadows of a small figure still swam at the bottom of the pool.

The girl exhaled the thoughts away before taking the bucket by its handle, intending to use it as part of her cleaning supplies for the rest of the day. As she pulled on the heavy contents, she was surprised to hear the subtle creaking of straining metal. The female furrowed her brows at the sound of loosening hinges and screws, and before she had a chance to realise the inclination behind the hinting noises, she was surrounded by a cold spill that ran down below her knees, soaking her feet.

The female gasped, immediately letting the bucket fall from her grasp as she looked down to inspect the cause of the sensation. To her annoyance, she confirmed her legs and feet to be completely drenched in water, allowing her to gather the pieces behind the unusual audio. Looking towards the bucket, her eyes trailed along the bottom plate of the container, as well as the broken screws and bolts that had kept the cleaning item together.

Upon closer inspection, she assessed the state of the holder that no longer functioned as a holder, to see none of the hinges that kept the bucket together were broken, nor rusted to allow the breakage. 'This was done by hand...' She lifted up the metal, allowing the bottom panel to detach from its frail loose and clatter to the ground. The girl stared at the disarranged item with a dubious gaze, leaning towards the only explanation that was viable under the suspicious circumstances. 'Did he do this...?' Glancing at the bucket one last time, she exhaled to herself, proceeded to take off her sloppy shoes to allow her feet some semblance of dryness.

Looking around, she spotted a nearby storage closet where she could swap out her dysfunctional equipment with a new batch. Taking her drenched pair of shoes by the curl of her fingers, she lifted up the empty bucket and its separate parts to walk towards the neighbouring storage area. She attempted to sooth her pounding head with a few thoughts of encouragement, intending to turn to the brighter side of the situation.

'At least this was more harmless than the other instances. Maybe he got tired and just stopped altogether after this one.' Assuring herself with soothing hopes, the girl reached the door to the broom room where she laboured in turning the handle with her occupied hands. As she finally managed to pull the door open, she was greeted by the abyss of darkness that loomed before her. The entire area of the room shrouded in shadows as no light source permitted any sight beyond the threshold of the entrance.

The girl tried to peer into the closet of nothingness, unable to adjust her eyes to form any sort of shapes nor indications inside. She tried balancing the bucket under her chin with one arm, only for her entire organised structure to wobble and tilt with the risky movement. Her luggage of shoes, layers of the metal container and a few of her cleaning supplies would not permit her to spare a separate limb to search for a light switch on the wall.

Her best course of action would end up being to simply enter the room blindly in the unlit surrounding and arbitrarily place the unusable equipment away before she could shed some shine into the scenery. 'Gosh, it would be useful to have more than two arms in this situation...' She bitterly commented in her mind before beginning her approach into the blanket of shadows. Taking her first few steps onward, the female's hand suddenly gave in from the strain as one of her fingers loosened to allow a shoe to plummet down into the emptiness.