< 1 >

Maria Holmes.
Chapter one
~~~~~
I brush my hand through my curly hair pulling my fringe off my face as I wait by the closed door for something to happen. I hear nothing the front door never opening or closing nobody is speaking just a painfully still silence. My curiosity wanting to go out to see what's happening but my logic holding me back keeping me safe. Finally, after what seems like forever the door clicks I slide under my bed just in case dragging my case with me. I hear my mother's soft voice speaking to the other person.
"Listen, mister, there must have been a mistake the only child I have is my adoptive daughter and she is not home at the moment she has gone to stay at a friends house for the week." I hear my mother say. I smile and let my eyes drift closed knowing she will do everything to keep me safe. The man she is talking with speaks up for the first time I can hear.
"You have the second best security in all of London, possibly Britain. So don't lie to me miss Holmes." He says in a rather Irish accent. I open one eye and peek up to the still closed bedroom door.
"I assure you, mister, I am no holmes. I am merely an old companion of Mycroft Holmes," she says in a formal way.
"He only offered this security because our parents wanted us to be a thing" she finishes with a serious and monochromatic tone to her voice as though the thought never appealed to her. The door to the room opens and the man's shoes are the first to enter. I swallow my breath so not to be heard.
"And the child I assume you adopted because you never married then?" He asks. I raise my eyebrow at the odd question. Who is this fellow?
"Not quite, I married once but we didn't work out and got a divorce, we adopted her because I had an accident and could not have children" mother lies. Well not fully, she cannot have children now as she did have an accident after I was born she was on a case with father and had been shot which caused immense damage to her uterus. The Irish man stands uncomfortably close to me as he speaks next.
"Ah, that's a shame isn't it, you would have had beautiful offspring," the man says in a complementary but creepy way. Mother doesn't answer to the comment and instead says "we should leave her room now she does get extremely picky about how things are and if she knows we have been in her bedroom I will never hear the end of it." I smile at mother's hidden humour towards my OCD like tendencies. They leave and once they have I stay hidden until I hear the sound of the front door again. And for a good five minutes after that, until mother comes to say it is safe to come out.
"Maria dear comes," she calls from the door. I slide out from under the bed and smirk.
"Dear me mother you do like to make it sound dramatic don't you, adopted, OCD oh how I do enjoy listening to the obvious lies slide so easily off your tongue it is so unbecoming of young woman such as us, so that must mean that man was not just bad but worse" I say cheekily while deducting more about who that man was.
"oh even worse than worse, that man was James, or Jim Moriarty, the consulting criminal as he likes to say, he is the biggest and most dangerous enemy anyone could make" mother explains.
"So I will give you a choice. Neither option is better than the other but they are the only ones we have. Stay with me until you are supposed to leave and risk  Moriarty returning and finding you, go to your father's earlier and risk Moriarty learning the truth which would put you me and your father in danger. Or we can send you over to Michaels so to make it seem he is your father and throw Moriarty off our trail." She says. I gulp. Going to Michaels is the safest option but last time I was their Michael tried to check me out while I was swimming and ever since I've been slightly afraid and disgusted by him. Staying was risky because he would most definitely return at some stage. But leaving for father's earlier was also risky as he could have hijacked the cameras waiting to see what we do. I swallow back the lump I didn't realize had formed in my throat.
"I will go to father's, that man, Moriarty he seemed smart he would know Michaels was a decoy and he would almost certainly return hear after a few days. There is a chance he is watching the security footage but still, daddy can take care of us" I say. Mother nods.
"Pack your bags, my beautiful child, I will drop you off at your father's in an hour," she says. I nod
"I love you mother," I say giving her a hug be for returning to my room and packing another two bags one a large black suitcase with my clothing and other necessary item's. The other, some of my favourite books a Rubix cube and my laptop. I glance around before also picking up the locket I almost always wear which holds a picture of my mother in one side and my father on the other. Ready I pull it over my head an pick up my bag and suitcase.
"I'm ready, mother, until next year" I smile, our common farewell was always along these lines it was like our promise to one another that we will see each other again. No matter what. And I know for a fact that my mother will not let anything get in the way of this promise.