<24>

Maria's pov

I was woken by the sounds of beautifully somber piece of violin music ringing throughout the apartment. Laying in bed I throw an arm over my eyes as I roll onto my back.
With a frown I let out a sigh and sit up swinging my legs from under the covers and onto the cold wood floor.
Stumbling slightly I walk through into the living room where sherlock stood by the window, John and Mrs Hudson moving about the room.
"Lovely tune that is sherlock," Mrs Hudson says softly.
Sherlock pauses and writes something the simple action causing my frown to deepen,
"Haven't heard that one before, Composing?" John asks.
My blood runs cold and a shiver goes down my spine.
"It helps me think," Sherlock says as he continues to play the instrument.
"What are you thinking about?" I ask with a quiet voice. Unconsciously gripping a hand over my heart at the unwelcome resurfacing memories.
Sherlock erruptly stops putting the violin down on its stand and turns pointing at John's open laptop.
"The counter on your blog is still stuck," he quickly says John walks over and nods while looking at the screen.
"Yeah it's faulty, can't seem to fix it," he mumbles.
I slowly move from the doorway to the sofa bringing my legs up and hugging my arms around them.
"Or you've been hacked," Sherlock says pulling out the camera phone.
A buzzing sounds from the phone and he frowns.
"Or its just faulty," I spit out my vision focusing on one spot on thee floor. As sherlock picks up his violin again and continues to play.
"Alright," John says Looking at me, "Well I'm going out for a bit," he says turning to sherlock his sight lingering on his back for a while. John walks into three kitchen and I stand to follow.
"Listen, has he had any type of relationship... ever?" John asks Mrs Hudson quietly. I stay out of sight and just listen.
"I don't know, Not that I know of, I suppose there was Maria's..." she whispers.
"How could we not know about it?" John asks
"He's sherlock, how are we supposed to know what's going on in that funny head of his," Mrs Hudson says.
"Ok, we'll I'll see you later than," John says picking up his keys and leaving.
I let out a little sigh, if only they knew what I did, the pain that I know he is feeling. Not necessarily because he liked the woman romantically. No it would be worse than this if he loved her. But this reaction, this meant there was some emotion. Some sort of respect towards her and that's why it breaks my heart to see father like this, because it means we run the risk of him closing himself off and building up walls again.
I push myself off the wall and rush out to catch up to John.
"Hey wait up John, I'll tag along if you don't mind," I call out "Just let me change into something warmer," I say rushing to the room and pulling on some jeans And my jacket.
I rush downstairs and out the door pulling it shut how John would. I had observed that he pulls it shut by the knocker and it would seem that's something father had noticed also so may as well keep it how he likes it.
As I walk up to John a woman calls out to him.
"John. Any plans for new year tonight," she asks walking towards him.
"Oh, Hello, no nothing fixed," he replies his eyes trailing her slightly. I roll mine and sigh.
"Nothing I couldn't heartlessly abandon, any ideas" he adds.
"One," she replies as a car pulls up.
"Oh for God sake, uncle Mikey could just bloody call us if he wasn't so up himself all the time, it would be far easier. instead of sending women to Flirt with Dr watson," I huff climbing in and waiting for John. 
"A bit rude but I suppose it's not uncalled for," he comments also getting in.
The car drives us to what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse or factory of some sort. The woman who had greeted and flirted with. John getting out with us and seemingly showing us where to go.
"This better be bloody important, I was going to go to a cafe," I mutter really not in the mood for.my uncles bull shit at the moment.
"He could just meet us at a cafe or something," John mutters "Sherlock doesn't follow me everywhere," he adds with a volume of distaste at Sherlocks usual habits.
"Barely notices when you ate and are not home John I doubt he even knows where gone," I point out with annoyance.
The woman glares at us slightly as though annoyed that she was tasked with this job of having us follow her.
"Through there," she says in a bored tone.
John and I pass her without much of a second glance going through to the room she motioned to as she turns and leaves talking into her phone.
"He is writing sad music," John calls out.
"Relapsed a bit... doesn't eat, barely talks unless it's to correct someone or try and hack into that phone," I add looking around.
"I'd say he was heart broken but he's, we'll he's sherlock," John says.
"Oh no. It's not heart break. I've seen heartbreak, it would Be worse if it were heartbreak but he definitely though very highly of..." I start saying as someone comes around the corner
"Hello Dr watson,  Maria," Irene Adler greets as ahead walks towards us.
I feel my pulse quicken out of an odd feeling of hatred and relief towards her. John freezes beside me for a brief moment of shock.
"You have to tell him your Alive," I demand my eyes watering.
"He'd come after me," she says.
"I'll come after you if you don't," John says.
"I believe you," she shrugs
"You were dead! On a slab, we both were there, sherlock and I, and he identified you, I was prepared to validate it if he couldn't but I didn't have to because as soon as she he saw that body he knew!" I say quietly and slowly as my emotions build up.
"It was definitely you," John says.
"DNA tests are only as good as the records you keep," Irene states with a frown
"Oh and let me guess you know the record keeper," John spits
"I know what he likes," she smiles "and I needed to disappear," she says crossing her arms
"Then how come we can see you," I seeth,
"And we don't even want to," John mutters
"I made a mistake, I sent something to sherlock for safe keeping and now I need it back, so I need your help," she asks
I shake my head.
"No, you can't- I won't," I mutter as John simply says "no"
"Its for his own safety," she tries.
"Tell him your alive,"  John demands "or I will,"
"No, she can tell him yourself," I say turning to leave.
"I can't," she says.
"We still won't help you," John says turning.
"What do I say?" She asks, my blood boils and I turn to her throwing my hands up.
"WHAT DO YOU NORMALLY SAY! YOU TEXTED HIM A LOT!" I scream.
"Just the normal stuff," she mutters with the tone of a pouting child.
"Don't you give me that! 'Just the normal stuff' Bull shit Mrs Adler," I sneer. "There is no usual in this case,"
She sighs and pulls out her phone.
"Good morning, I like your funny hat, I'm sad tonight let's have dinner, you look sexy on crime watch let's have dinner, I'm not hungry, let's have dinner," she reads out then looks to us.
" You flirted with him. You flirted with Sherlock Holmes?" John asks
"At him, he never replied," she points out. 
"No- no he replies to everything he's Mr punchline, he would outlive a God he doesn't believe in if it means having the last word," I say bitterly.
"Does that make me special?" She asks with asks grin.
"No, you could never be special," "I don't know maybe" John and I say at the same Time.
"Oh, does that make you jealous, John" she says seemingly ignoring me.
"We're not a couple," he groans.
"Yes you are," she smirks typing into her phone.
"There. I'm not dead, let's have dinner," she says holding her phone up.  She clicks send and pockets it.
"Who the hell knows about sherlock Holmes but if anyone out there still actually cares, I'm not actually gay,"  John says.
"Hmm debatable," I whisper turning to leave.
"Well I am," Irene says "Look at us," she says. John scoffs and as I roll my eyes and open my mouth to comment on Her assumptions or beliefs that John and I are gay as she insinuated as well as point out sleeping with both genders would make her at least bisexual. An all to familiar ring tone sounds out.
"Sherlock," I call out sprinting out to try intercept him.
Irene holds up a hand and John catches me before I can get out.
"I don't think so, do you?" She asks as I struggle.
"Stop John, let me go, what are you doing, let go of me I have make sure he's ok!" I shout as I hear the footsteps of my father fade. 

(Sorry updates are taking ages, I'm taking a bit of a hiatus to rethink the plot so that I can be reinspired and can write the next chapters a bit better)