<17>

Maria pov
..--_~~_--..

As we all climb into the taxi I feel a scowl setting into place on my face. It is silent for a while but then John turns to my father with that look.
"Ok the smoking, how did you know?" He asks over me. I'm starting to notice that I'm ending up in between these two men a lot.
"The evidence was right under your nose, John, as ever you see but you do not observe," Sherlock says. I pull an ashtray that I had swiped from the palace out of my coat.
"Observe what?" John asks not yet having noticed the ashtray. I throw it up and catch it
"The ashtray, Watson," I grin handing it to Sherlock who smirks as he slides it into his coat.
John laughs and rolls his eyes.
"I can't believe you actually stole an ashtray from Buckingham Palace," he says. I smirk smugly and shrug.
"Harry was getting on my nerves and what uncle Mikey said annoyed me so... hey I might give it back or I might not, depends on if I'm in a good mood when they ask for it," I say. With a chuckle from John and Sherlock, the rest of the car ride is pretty much silent.

(Back at 221b)

John and I are sitting in the lounge as sherlock throws things about in our room.
"What are you doing?" I ask more concerned about who will have to clean all that up later then what my father is actually up to.
John looks up also wanting to know though I suspect he is more interested in what he is actually doing.
"I'm going into battle, John, I need the right armour," he calls back. I scoff.
"John didn't even ask moron," I mutter as Sherlock walks into view wearing a bright yellow police jacket.
"Nope," he says more to himself than us.
I roll my eyes and stand up from Sherlock's chair. Strolling into the room I walk up to my father.
"I assume you are trying to find something that will make this woman invite you meaning us into her home?" I ask not exactly expecting asks answer.
I hand him the shirt he had been wearing at the Palace and then pick up a white clerical collar.
"Boom, most people would let an injured priest into their home, unless they are pure evil but we will figure that out when the time comes," I say handing over the items of clothing and walking back to the door of the room.
"I am not injured," he says
"I can fix that for you," I grin "I'll call a cab then," I add walking out.
"Come on John, we're off," I say strolling out the door and down to the street.
Once he had changed shirt Sherlock comes out with John and they jump into the cab which I had just gotten to pull up. Rolling my eyes I get in behind them.
Sherlock tells the cabbie the address.
"So what's the plan?" John asks after a while.
"Well we know her address," I chime
"What we just ring the doorbell?" John asks puzzled
"Exactly," I grin.
"Just here please," Sherlock tells the driver.
"You didn't even change your clothes," John says rolling his eyes slightly.
"Also You're cleaning up the mess when we get home," I say jumping out of the cab. Sherlock rolls his eyes and ignores my comment.
"Then it's time to add a splash of colour," he says.
They get out of the cab, pay the cabbie and then we walk around the corner into a side street.
Sherlock pulls his scarf off in one fluid movement and turns to face John glancing around.
I pout and cross my arms standing to the side.
"Are we hear?" John asks
"Two streets away, but this will do," Sherlock replies
"For what?" John asks slightly confused
"Punch me, in the face," Sherlock commands bending down slightly
"Punch you?" John says curiously
"Yes, punch me in the face, didn't you hear me?" Sherlock asks
"I always hear punch you when your talking," I chime, John nods
"Its usual subtext," John adds
"Oh for God's sake," Sherlock whines throwing a punch at John's chest pushing him down. He then prepares himself as John stands and brushes the dirt off.
I step forward but then stop when John throws a punch at Sherlock's face just as asked
He pulls his hand back and flexes it a few times as Sherlock regains his footing
"Thank you, that was, that was..." Sherlock starts before John tackles him. I contemplate pulling him off but then realizes anything attempts would probably be futile and at the moment it's not too out of hand just as little quarrel.
John pulls Sherlock into a choke hold and I move towards them.
"Ok, I think we're done now, John," Sherlock says struggling.
"You want to remember, Sherlock, I was a soldier, I killed people," John grunts
"You were a doctor!" Sherlock says
"I had bad days!" John snaps back. I give up on trying to pull John off and instead push then two over causing John to let go
Sherlock stands and coughs slightly awkwardly before pulling the clerical collar out and fixing it in place.
"We should, uh, let's go then?" I say rubbing my hands on my jeans.
With silent nods, Sherlock and John walk in the direction of Irene Adler's home.