<9>

Sherlock pov
--*--*--*--
John had gone out about an hour ago. Mycroft sat in his seat as Maria sat in mine talking with him.
"I do believe that I bought food brother mine it would be in your best interest to eat something," he says in his pompous sneering tone.
"In your best interest" I mock
"Father behave!" Maria snaps.
"Sorry uncle Mikey he has been acting bitchy since I told him I invited you for dinner, not much has changed since last time really has it." She says sipping her tea.
"Oh don't be ridiculous Maria dear we both know he has always been like this, I must be off now important business to be done have a lovely night and brother dearest, do grow up," Mycroft says standing up and walking out the door.
"Tata, cheers for the food, good luck with the diet" Maria smirks picking up a Chinese takeout container and skillfully using the chopsticks she picks up a dumpling and flicks it at me.
"C'mon lazy, you need to eat more your more of a stick then I am and my metabolism either loves me or hates me." She says through a mouth full.
"Not hungry" I mutter ignoring my rumbling stomach.
"Father..." She says softly, placing the food container down.
"Please, you need to eat, for me... for John." She says walking over to me and gently brushing my hair back.
"I'm not a child Maria I don't need you to pester me on my health or my decisions," I say pushing her hand away and turning to the wall.
She stands for a minute before walking to her bedroom doorway.
"Just like old times aye, me looking out for you, keeping you in check. I'm going to miss it, please father, do start to at least try and look after yourself. I don't think either of us want it to ever be like that again." She says with a tone of sadness.
"I'll try..." I whisper.
After a while off fumbling with the flash drive in my dressing gown pocket, I stand up and stroll to my violin. Picking it up I start to play a piece which I had written many years ago when Maria had been born.

-*-*-*-
Maria's Pov
-*-*-*-*-
After I retreated to the bedroom which father has given me I hear him start to play, a lullaby-like tune mother told me he had written for me as a child to helped sleep.
I stand up and grab my wallet and phone.
Hesitation keeps me glued in the spot where I stood. As the last few notes ring melodically from the wooden instrument I leave the room and enter the lounge.
"Father, I'm going to go for a walk do you needed to bring anything back?" I ask.
No reply.
"Ok, I won't be too long, do try to cheer up," I say pulling on my boots and coat. I stop as I pull the sleeve over my arm. Once I have my coat on I walk up to father a lean down to give him a small hug.
"It's not always a bad thing, sentiment, sometimes it rewards you," I say quietly.
I then make my way out the door calling a farewell to Mrs Hudson so she knows to cheek up on Sherlock every so often make sure he doesn't sulk too much longer.
--**~**--
I first notice while walking through the park. The small nagging feeling on the back of my neck. Someone is following me.
I know it for sure. It's different than the paranoia which I get. And every time I stop so do the footsteps behind me.
"I know you're following me, just letting you know I'm not going home for a while if that's what you're waiting for. If it's not then why don't you come to walk by me so we can talk." I say to the man probably about six foot. All the while at the same Time sending a coded message to father to inform him of what might be happening. As I hit send his presence is almost right behind me. I prepare to fight the person. Until passing by a convenient mirror gives me other ideas.
The man pulls something out his pocket which causes the sun to glare off it for a moment. (God you would think it's a TV show) after seeing the needle obviously intended to be used against me. I use the few seconds of freedom to make a decision.
I sprint to the side and make a run for Scotland Yard. If father trusts them enough to work together then it should be safe.

(Sorry it's shorter than usual)