02 - Coach 2.0

"Of course you're still the team captain. You got your grades up just like Coach told you to, right?"

I stretched to the far right, fingers wrapped around the base of my white, Converse high tops. My head snapped up when I heard Stiles' voice somewhere nearby. He was close, definitely somewhere near the lacrosse field, where I was stretching my body out. I continued to stretch while I scanned the small group of people near the bleachers. 

"Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team." Scott's disembodied voice reached my ears. "He just told me to show up at tryouts today."

I sat up straight before I stretched to the left, copying my actions from a few seconds ago. I brushed off a piece of grass from my yoga pants. Looking under my arm, I was able to spot Scott and Stiles near the walkway of the bleachers that lead back toward the school. 

Stiles had his back to the field with his full attention on Scott. It's not that I wanted to listen in on what they were talking about. I just couldn't help it. My supernatural hearing range was very vast. Some voices stuck out more than others, like Scott and Stiles. 

Aiden and my brother's voices stuck out to me, too. In the house we were renting, I heard their voices over the loud music I was playing in my bedroom. We took the weekend to buy furniture and unpack our luggage. Aiden had quite a bit of money put to the side and that really helped us find a house to rent so quickly. Isaac and I had a little bit of money to our names, just not a whole bunch. 

"-- bigger things to deal with anyway." Stiles stated. His lacrosse duffel bag was hanging from his shoulder. Neither of them had noticed I was on the field yet. "Did you tell Argent yet?" 

"Ah..." Scott grimaced. "I was going to text him, but Chloe said she could call him since I didn't have the money to call France."

"Yeah, you think you got money problems? Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen House." Stiles sighed, sounding defeated. 

"Another one?" 

"Yeah, this one said, 'Final'. Now, what the hell are we doing here anyway? We got, like, a 117 million problems and worrying about our status on the lacrosse team is not one of them."

"It is now." 

I stopped stretching to follow their gaze. At the right side of the field, three guys practiced together; one in the goal, two throwing balls. I sat a little straighter, surprised at how the goalie blocked every shot. Even with two people tossing the balls at the goal, he managed to block every single one thrown his way with ease. He didn't even seem tired.

"Who the hell is that?" 

The goalie peeled his helmet off and I recognized him as a freshman. His name was Liam or something. Aiden and Isaac wandered over to where I was sitting on the grass, both of them eyed the fresh meat. 

One of the other guys in a red shirt walked up to his friend. "Nice, Liam. You might just be our first ever freshman captain." 

"I thought Scott was captain?" I asked my brother. 

Isaac nodded to Scott on the side of the field. "Maybe not anymore." He peered down at me. "How pissed do you think he'd be if I got team captain?" 

"On a scale from one to ten?" I asked him, grimacing at the sun nearly blinding me. My brother nodded his head. "Maybe an eight point five." 

I waved my hand in the air for one of them to grab. Aiden grabbed my hand and pulled me up from the ground. I jumped to my feet with a bounce. Grass stuck to my black, yoga pants and I brushed all of it off of me.