08 - Goodbye

The keys in jiggled together in the ignition before Stiles snatched them up in his hand. His other hand rested on the door handle, pausing when he realized I hadn't moved from the spot I got in when I climbed in the passenger's seat. "Hey, you okay?" Stiles asked. 

Almost in a trance, I continued to stare straight ahead through the windshield in silence. My bottom lip had been sucked in between my teeth, gnawing on it without really realizing. We had spent the rest of the school day at Stiles' house after we decided we didn't want to be at the school anymore. He understood I was upset, so we left. 

Aiden and Isaac agreed to meet all of us at the lake house for our attempt to keep Liam under control during the full moon. The first test for the pack would be tonight. Half of us were going to watch over Liam while the rest would be with Malia in the basement. 

Everything was all set to go. From inside of the jeep, I could hear Lydia and Malia talking to each other on their way out of the front door of the house. They said Kira would be the one to bring Liam to the lake house. He would think he had been invited to party. This wasn't the kind of party he had been hopping for. 

Our goal was to explain everything to him and then chain him up. We wouldn't have much time by the time the two of them arrived. Night had already fallen. The moon high in the sky. Liam was most likely already feeling it. 

"Chloe?" Stiles gently touched my shoulder. 

Startled by his touch, I jumped back in the passenger seat and snapped my head around to look back at him. I grimaced when I realized I zoned out. "Sorry," I apologized.

His hand remained on my shoulder, softly rubbing it over my shirt and jacket. "Are you okay?"

Hot air blew out of my nose in forced laughter. My lips pressed together as I unbuckled my seat belt, deciding not to climb out of the jeep just yet. "Honestly, I don't know." 

A loud roar of a bike cut through the air. I didn't have to turn my head to know Scott just pulled up on his bike. I kept my head forward, afraid to make eye contact with him. There wasn't going to be a chance tonight, where I could avoid Scott. No, we were Liam's Alphas, which meant the two of us would have to work together. 

I would be able to handle tonight as long as I wouldn't be left alone with him. With a crazed werewolf on our hands, I didn't expect us to worry about that. We would need help in case Liam goes out of control. 

Aiden's car was the next one to park in the driveway. Isaac and him climbed out of the car, and made their way over to the rest of the group, who were all waiting for us to get out of the jeep. Stiles had something to tell Scott before Liam got here. I just wasn't ready to face him yet. 

"Don't leave me alone with him," I whispered to Stiles beside me. 

After my crying moment earlier today, I knew Scott wouldn't dare to eavesdrop on our conversation. The guilt he felt was written all over his face. He wouldn't want to do anything else to upset me. 

"Hey," Stiles continued to massage my shoulder before he slid it down my back, rubbing random patterns to calm me down. He gave me a reassuring smile. "We're going to do this together, okay? I'll be right by your side." 

Taking a deep breath, I nodded and climbed out of his jeep. Isaac was the first to lock eyes with me. Through his facial features, I saw how worried he was about me, especially after how he saw me run off. I told both of them I was heading back to Stiles' house until we would have to leave. 

Aiden and Isaac didn't bother to press me with any questions. They knew how upset I was. They were the only ones who saw how hurt I was from Scott's actions because I didn't show them until I was in France, where he wouldn't see how hurt I was.