15 - Keys

My hands searched through my school backpack, flipping through binders and textbooks to find where the car keys were. I abruptly stopped walking once we stepped out of the doors of the school and moved off to the side, allowing other students to pass by. When I found my backpack was clear of the keys, I peered up at my brother while my hands worked at zipping it back up.

"Hey, do you have the keys?" I asked him, half expecting him to hand them over.

"No," Isaac answered, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Aiden has them."

My head craned over my shoulder, curious to know where my other beta had wandered off to. "Well, where is he?"

A hint of a smirk formed on my brother's face as he replied, casually, "He's doing something."

The look on his face rose some red flags in my mind. Anything that Aiden and Isaac had gotten themselves into, was bound to bring all of us into trouble. I gave my brother a worried look, automatically assuming that they decided to create some chaos in the school.

"Please tell me you aren't doing something stupid." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

Isaac simply laughed, remaining silent.

"Well, whatever you guys are planning or doing, it's gonna have to wait because all of us need to get together and figure out how to get the game canceled tonight." My hands fell on my hips. "I know Scott thinks it's the best thing to do to keep the game going, but someone will end up getting hurt. I'm not risking anyone's life right now, so call Aiden or something."

"He won't answer," Isaac stated, shaking his head.

I gave him an odd look and folded my arms. "Okay, what the hell are you two doing?"

"I'm not doing anything, Chloe, Aiden is." The smirk on his face only broadened as he said the words, like he was proud he knew something I didn't.

We stared at each other; Isaac with a suggestive look on his face, confusion written on mine. Only a few seconds were needed for his words to click in my mind. A look of horror and disgust masked on my own facial features as I realized what he was referring to. I threw my hands up in front of me, as if that would make him stop talking about it, and shook my head.

"Gross, gross, gross." I muttered to myself. Immediately, I regretted pressing on for more information about Aiden's whereabouts, wishing I had never asked in the first place. "How the hell did he even find a girl already? We haven't even been here for that long."

"It didn't take you that long," Isaac half shrugged his shoulders.

My mouth fell open in shock as I stuttered over my words, quick to defend myself, "Wh- What? That's- That's different, Isaac." My cheeks burned red with warmth from suddenly being put on the spot. "And I'm not sleeping with--" I paused to glance around to make sure no one was around to overhear us. I dropped my voice to a whisper as I said, "-- Stiles. He doesn't even know that I like him."

Isaac scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Oh, come on, Chloe. Everyone knows that you two like each other."

I huffed in embarrassment. I turned my head away from my brother, not wanting to continue on with this conversation with him. My eyes shifted over a small crowd of people forming around something. I tapped into my advanced hearing, intrigued to know what was happening.

"-- what's going on prep students? Welcome to our little, public high school." Stiles' voice broke through the other students talking.

I tilted my head to the side, confused. There was no reason that he would be greeting the Devenford Prep lacrosse team when they arrived here for the game in a few hours. Slowly, my legs began to carry me over to the crowd. I listened more intently, catching the sound of a fast heart beat and Scott lowly telling Liam to calm down.