16 - Cookies

After a short debate with Coach about there was 'no way in hell' that the scrimmage game was going to be canceled, I forced Isaac to head back home real quick to whip up a backup plan. We were currently back at the school, hiding behind a row of lockers while we peered around the corner of it, quietly watching Greenberg shuffle through his gym locker for his lacrosse jersey.

"Could he take any longer?" Isaac lowly grumbled, tired of waiting for our classmate to turn around.

I hushed him, afraid Greenberg might hear our whispers. Perhaps, this plan of ours was a little juvenile and outright evil, but this was the only other plan we potentially had to get the game canceled. I gasped in excitement when I saw Greenberg turn away from his locker and notice the small plate of cookies for the first time.

Greenberg checked over his shoulder, searching to see if he was truly the only one in the boy's locker room. When he was sure no one else was around, he picked up the plastic plate of chocolate chip cookies, eagerly biting into one of the homemade desserts.

"How long do they take to kick in?" Isaac whispered.

I dug for the half empty box of laxatives in my purse, reading the words printed on it. "It says it's fast-acting." I flipped the box around to read the back filled with a small font. "Should I have bought the brand version of it instead of the generic? They work the same, right? It was just cheaper and I didn't see a reasoning to buy it for fifteen dollars when this box was only four--"

"I think it will be fine," Isaac shrugged his shoulders. He nodded his head in our fellow classmate's direction, who was shoving cookies into his mouth. "Should he really be eating that many?"

My eyes grew wide when I saw how many cookies were missing from the plate within a matter of a couple of minutes. Greenberg was certainly going to town on the cookies laced with chocolate laxatives.

"Um," I weakly shrugged my shoulders. I scratched the back of my neck, nervously. "Uh..." My head tilted to the side as my nose wrinkled at how fast he was eating. "I didn't put that many in. He should be fine."

The locker room door was pushed open. Greenberg froze with his mouth full of chocolate chip cookies and he stared at the person entering the room. Isaac grabbed my arm and forced me to move further out of sight.

"Hey, Dad," Stiles walked through the locker room, dressed in his lacrosse uniform, and held his phone to his year. He ran a hand through his dark brown hair, clearly upset about something. "You're supposed to be here. Where the hell are you?"

My heart sank at how upset he was about his father not being at the game already. My brother kept me hidden behind another row of lockers, not wanting to let Greenberg know we've been in here the whole time.

"I'm leaving now, and this conversation isn't getting me there any quicker," Mr. Stilinski replied back through the phone.

Greenberg held the plate close to his chest as he began to maneuver his way out of the locker room. "Stilinski," he muttered to Stiles with a mouthful of cookies. He passed by him without uttering another word.

"Uh, Greenberg...?" Stiles said after he ended the phone call with his dad. His eyebrows furrowed at the random plate held in Greenberg's arms. "Why do you have cookies?"

Greenberg paused, halfway turning around to glance back at him. "Uh, I brought them," he answered after thinking about a plausible excuse. "My mom made them for me." Without saying another word, he rushed out of the locker room after he handed one to Stiles.

"Oh, my God, no!" I shouted as I ran over to where Stiles stood. I swatted the chocolate chip cookie out of his hand before he could bring it to his mouth. The cookie crumbled in the air from the force of my hand and broke into tinier pieces as it hit the floor. "Do not eat any of the cookies."