Chapter 5

As soon as they walked through the restroom entrance, Bethany was completely baffled to see Christie run straight to the sink and splash her face.

"Chris? What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?" She asked while Christie wiped her face dry. At first, Christie just stood there. Then, she took a deep breath.

"Beth, you remember how I was often bullied when I was just a child?" Bethany formed a surprised look on her face.

"Of course I remember. That was how you met that boy from you past right? The one who saved you from the ones who threatened Maria?" She asked looking down at her arms which were holding Maria.

"Yeah, he chased the bullies away and gave Maria back to me. He even walked me the rest of the way home. Even so, I never got the chance to thank him because he just disappeared without a trace and I haven't seen him since."

"Yeah, I remember you telling me that story shortly after we first met and I asked you why Maria was so precious to you. The first reason being that she's the only thing you have left of your mom and the other reason's because she reminds you of that boy."

"Yes, that's right." Christie took Maria from Bethany's arms.

"Call me crazy but, every time I look at Matt, I get the sensation that I'm standing in front of that boy again."

"Huh?"

"His comforting voice, his warm hand, and his kind smile. Everything he does reminds me of that same boy from my past." Bethany stood there staring at her as she buried her face in Maria's fur.

"You think...that Matt is that same boy?" Christie raised her head.

"I don't know. A part of me wants to believe it's true, but the other part doesn't want to get my hopes up." For a minute, the two of them just stood there. Then, with a smile on her face, Bethany came up behind Christie, took out her brush, and started straightening her hair out.

"Well, you know there's only one way to know for sure. You'll just have to ask him." Christie almost jumped out of her skin at that suggestion.

"No way! I can't do that! What if it turns out it's not him after all?! It would be totally awkward! I'd be putting him on the spot!" Bethany just smiled as she brushed Christie's hair.

"It's not like you have to blurt the question out like a bomb shell. You could bring it up in a casual way. For example, you could ask him if he's been to this town before or what he thinks about Maria. You could ask him if he ever had a doll like her or if someone he knew had one." Christie looked in the mirror.

"You think that would work?"

"Of course it would. And you don't have to do it right away. You could do it when you two find a moment to be alone and just talk."

"How would we manage to do that?" Bethany finished tying Christie's hair back and started to think.

"Hmm...well, how about this? We already have plans to go to the Ferris wheel tonight. The carts hold up to four people. So no matter how you look at it, we're going to have to split up. While the rest of us get in one cart, you and Matt can get in another one. Then you can have a moment to ask him." Christie found herself blushing.

"Don't you think that's a little extreme?"

"Of course not. Trust me, all you have to do is take a deep breath and remain calm. When the time is right, you'll know what it is you need to say. The words will just come right to you." Christie looked at herself in the mirror and thought for a minute.

"Okay, I guess I can give it a try." Bethany smiled as she put her arm around her.

"You'll be a naturally at it. Trust me." Christie smiled and nodded as they walked out to rejoin their friends.