Chapter 14

The next day, Christie found herself walking down the sidewalk to school. She was about half way there when she was surprised by a car horn. Looking behind her, she was surprised to see a big black limousine. It pulled up next to her and rolled its rear window down. Christie was surprised to see who was inside.

"Benjiro?!"

"Good morning, Christie. What a pleasant surprise running into you. Are you on your way to school?"

"Yes, I am."

"Splendid, in that case, how about we go together?"

"Huh?" Before Christie could respond, the driver opened his door. He was wearing a fancy suit as he opened the passenger door before her. Inside, Benjiro held his hand out as he offered her the seat next to him. At first, Christie wasn't sure as she remembered Bethany's warning. Still, it wasn't like she was in danger or anything. They were just going to school.

"Okay. That would be nice. Thank you." Christie hopped into the back of the car as the driver closed the door for her and got back in the driver's seat. As they drove down the road, Christie couldn't shake this uneasy feeling she had.

"Benjiro really is a nice guy. But, it's like Beth said, I have a feeling there's more to him than meets the eye. He's a lot like Matt. The only difference is that Matt doesn't open himself up so much. Benjiro seems to have a lot going on for himself, but it's also like he's unsure with what to do. Is that why I feel a little anxious about him? Is it because he's like me and is unsure about his future?" Benjiro just sat there thinking to himself.

"Oh yeah, thanks again for the books you let me borrow last night. I stayed up late reading them. They had so much helpful information in them, I hardly even know what to do with it all. My report is due this Friday, but with all the info in those books, I'll be able to finish it with time to spare." Benjiro smiled.

"I am glad to hear that. You are a very intelligent young woman. I am certain you will be able to receive a top score with ease." Christie let out a laugh. Benjiro just smiled as he watched her laugh.

"You know?"

"Huh?"

"After you went home last night, my butler, Albert, informed me that you reminded him a great deal of my mother when she was your age." Christie looked at him surprised.

"I gave it some thought. Of course, I don't know how my mother addressed herself from so long ago. But, I do feel that you remind me of her in many ways. It makes me feel as though a part of her is here in America with me." Christie let out a smile.

"I see. What kind of woman is your mother?" Benjiro raised his head and smiled.

"She is the kindest of women and is very gentle. She is loving to all those around her and treats everyone with the greatest respect. Being an ambassador, my father tends to stay out till the late hours of the night. But my mother is very understanding and always welcomes him home with a smile." Benjiro looked out the window.

"I remember it all so clearly. Because I'm my father's only son, I'm expected to take over his position when the time comes. Therefore, I was always expected to be the best at everything. I always felt as though everyone around me was watching my every move expecting nothing less than perfection. When I made the slightest mistake, I would be severely scolded. It's true I was taught by the best scholars around, but there were times when boarding school felt more like a prison cell." Christie formed a surprised look on her face. For a minute, Benjiro just stared out the window. Then he lowered his head and smiled.

"My only sanctuary was being held in the warmth and safety of my mother's arms. While others would scold me, she would comfort me. Even if I cried my eyes out and acted like a complete fool, she would always smile at me and hold me tightly in her arms. I know that without her love and support, I wouldn't be the man I am today and for that I am truly grateful to her." Christie looked at Benjiro's smile. She could tell he was very happy to talk about his mother. His smile showed that he was very close to her. She couldn't help but crack a smile too.