Chapter 8

That evening, Christie worked long and hard at the diner. Even though she did her best to keep herself busy, she still couldn't stop thinking about what she, Bethany, and RJ talked about.

"Why is this whole thing bothering me so much? It's so unlike me to get all worked up about something." She thought to herself as she cleared the tables. Just then, one of the waiters called out to her.

"Hey, Chris! You've got a phone call!"

"Coming!" Wondering who it could be, she walked up and took the phone from her.

"Hello?"

"Hey there, Christie."

"Mr. Sohma?!" Christie was surprised to hear the convenient store's owner on the phone.

"Sorry to suddenly call you up like this, but I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to come in tonight because we're going to close up for the night." Christie formed a surprised look on her face.

"Really?! Why? You never close up shop. Did something happen?!"

"Nope, everything's fine. We just decided to have an intense cleaning night and for that to happen we need to make sure none of the costumers get in the way of anything."

"Oh I see. Don't you need me to help with that?"

"No, we're good. Our son said he was going to bring a bunch of his friends with him to give us a hand. You just take a night off and enjoy yourself. You've certainly earned it."

"Well, okay. If you're sure you don't need my help."

"Positive. You just have a fun evening to yourself and we'll see you tomorrow." Christie smiled.

"Okay. I'll come in tomorrow. See you then." With that, she put the phone down.

"I don't think I've ever had a night off before. I wonder what I should do? Maybe I'll call Beth and go hang out with her or something." Just as she was about to pick the phone back up and dial in Bethany's number, one of the other waiters called out to her.

"Hey Christie! We've got a new customer and they're asking for you!" Christie formed a surprised look on her face.

"I wonder who it could be?" She thought to herself.

"Okay! I'll be right there!" Grabbing her notebook which she used to take orders, she put the phone back down.

"I'll just call Beth when I get ready to leave." With that, she walked back out. Turning the corner, she looked up towards the table the other waitress was pointing at. She couldn't believe who was sitting there.

"M...Matt?!" It was Matt still wearing his sunglasses. He smiled as he raised his hand.

"Hey there, that waitress outfit looks good on you." Christie blushed as she walked up to him.

"Thanks, but what are you doing here?"

"Your friend, Bethany, called my sister. I didn't hear all of the conversation they were having, but she mentioned that you work here during the afternoons. She also mentioned that you didn't have to work at your other job tonight and that I should stop by cause you had something you wanted to ask me." Christie's jaw dropped as her face turned bright red.

"Beth?! She said that?!" Matt nodded.

"But, how did she know I didn't have to go to the convenient store tonight?! I just got a call from there only seconds ago!"

"No idea. All I know is that she mentioned that you had something you really needed to talk to me about. Since I had some free time, I figured I'd come on down." If Christie's face wasn't red before, it was now as her face was practically steaming. She grunted her teeth angrily as she imagined Bethany laughing with a big grin on her face.