Chapter 24

For the next few minutes, everyone coughed and kept their faces covered as the smoke surrounded the area. Finally, it began to clear away. Everyone slowly stood up to see a giant pile of rubble scattered all over the place. Everyone was too afraid to get any closer. Dropping to her knees, Sandra's eyes were flooded with tears.

"It's a lie...This can't...be happening...It's all just a big lie!" She cried as her whole body tensed up.

"Matt...YOU IDIOT!!!" She screamed to the top of her lungs as tears poured out of her eyes. Greta just stood there with her hands over her face crying deeply. Benjiro squeezed his fists so hard, his nails were cutting into his skin. He didn't even care as tears fell out of his eyes too. RJ looked at Bethany.

"Beth?" Bethany didn't answer. She just stared at the street. Holding Maria in her arms, she looked as though all the life had been drained out of her as tears poured out. Having tears in his eyes as well, all RJ could do was wrap his arms around her and cry too. Bethany was just too petrified to move. Her whole body just went numb as she couldn't feel anything but the stabbing pain in her heart.

"C...Chr...Chris..." She barely managed to say. Unable to hold herself up, she fell into RJ's embrace as he held her up. While tears poured out of her eyes, she rubbed Maria's torched fur against her face. Pressing her against her cheek, she wept. Miss Monica just stood in the back with her eyes flooded as well. For a while, everyone just stood there with tears in their eyes. Suddenly, someone cried out.

"Look!" Everyone looked in the direction he was pointing. There was something making it's way through the smoke. As it walked towards them, it got bigger and bigger. Everyone stared at it with great intensity. Finally, whoever it was stepped out of the smoke. Everyone gasped. It was Matt! He was carrying Christie in his arms! She was unconscious, but she was still breathing. Sandra struggled to stand up as she took a step towards them.

"M...Ma..." Matt looked at her. To Sandra's shock, he smiled.

"You idiot, huh?" Sandra gasped as he smiled.

"That sure is one way to wake a guy up." Sandra just stood there frozen. Everyone was just too shocked to even move.

"Please..." Matt finally said.

"Take care...of Chris." He said with a smile. Before anyone could say a word. He started to wobble. The next thing they knew, he fell to the ground taking Christie with him.

"Matt!" Sandra cried. Rushing to his side, she looked at his face.

"He's out cold! Someone call an ambulance!" The others were still too frozen to move. Sandra flashed them an angry look.

"People! Wake up! These two need a doctor! Now!" Giving themselves a shake, they rushed to their sides.

"Chris!" Bethany screamed. Picking her head up, she couldn't stop the tears.

"Oh Chris! Please speak to me!"

"Easy, babe. She needs to rest. If she were to wake up now, all she would feel is pain." RJ stated as he bent down next to her. Bethany tried to pull herself together.

"But..." Bending down next to them, Benjiro put two of his fingers under Christie's neck.

"She has a strong pulse. I don't believe her life is in any danger." He stated.

"Are you sure?" Bethany asked.

"See for yourself." Taking hold of her hand, Bethany let Benjiro hold her fingers over Christie's neck. She could feel strong pulsations throughout her body. It made her feel a little better, but she still couldn't stop crying. A minute later, a group of doctors came with stretchers to take both Christie and Matt to the hospital.