Chapter 15

The next day, Christie took her time getting to school. As she walked down the sidewalk, she let out a loud yawn.

"I couldn't get to sleep last night. My mind just wouldn't stop running thoughts through my head." She said as she rubbed her eyes. Lifting her head, she could see the school grounds just ahead.

"I feel a little uneasy about going to school today. Maybe I'm just anxious about whether or not Ben remembers where he's seen Maria before." Looking down at her arms, she was carrying the books Benjiro had loaned her for her report. It was then that Matt's face flashed before her eyes. It made her come to a stop as she reached the school gate.

"I wonder. Is that the only reason I'm anxious?" Unable to move, she just stood there thinking. She didn't even notice the school bell ringing.

"Matt...I still haven't seen or heard from him since that night. Maybe I should go see him. But than again, what would I say? And what about Ben? What if I really have met him before? Will it change anything?" With so many questions running through her head, Christie was just unable to move. Just then, one of her classmates ran through the gate. Looking behind him, he spotted Christie just standing there.

"Hey Christie! What are you standing around for?! The bell has already rung!" Christie lifted her head.

"Huh?" Her classmate rushed up to her.

"What do you mean huh?! Are you even awake?! Come on! We're gonna be late!" Before Christie could say a word, her classmate grabbed her wrist and started pulling her towards the school's entrance. Unable to think clearly, she just let herself be pulled into the building. Dashing down the hallway, the two of them barged into the classroom. To their surprise, everyone was just sitting around cause class hadn't started yet.

"Where's Mrs. Vapor?"

"Running late I guess. She hasn't come in yet." Letting go of Christie's wrist, the boy dropped to the floor gasping for breath.

"Thanks goodness! I thought I was gonna be in boiling water this morning." Some of the guys walked up to him.

"Dude, what happened to you?"

"Yeah man, you're never late? You get held up in traffic or something?" The boy raised his head. His expression showed he was totally exhausted.

"I wish it was just that. My mom had to go to work early today so she asked me to walk my kid sister to preschool. As soon as I got there, a bunch of her friends jumped out at me wanting me to give them all piggy back rides. It took two teachers to pull them all off my back."

"Ouch, man that's gotta be rough."

"I had no idea you were so good with kids." While the boys just joked with one another, Christie just stood in the doorway catching her breath.

"You okay, Chris?" Christie looked up to see Bethany and RJ in front of her. They both had surprised looks on their faces. Trying to get her barrings, Christie formed a fake smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little slow this morning."

"Are you sure? You look like you have circles in your eyes. Did you not sleep last night?" RJ asked. Christie ran her hands over her eyes.

"I do?" Taking out her compact mirror, Bethany opened it up and held it to Christie's face. Christie peered into the reflection. She gasped as she realized RJ was right. There were dark lines under her eyes. Rubbing her eyes, she tried to make them go away.

"What's wrong, Chris? Did you have a rough night or something?" Trying not to worry them, Christie formed a fake smile.

"Yeah. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night. But it's no big deal. I'll be just fine, promise." Walking past them, she headed towards her seat. Lifting her head, she spotted Benjiro sitting at his desk. He was staring out the window. Gripping the books in her arms, she took a deep breath and walked towards him.