Chapter 23

The next morning, Matt woke up to find himself still in the chair next to the bed. Looking at Christie, she was still asleep. Stretching his arms high over his head, he couldn't help but let out a sigh. For a minute, he just sat there staring at her. Finally, Christie let out a groan as she slowly opened her eyes. As she slowly got her vision together, she was surprised to see Matt next to her.

“Matt?” Matt smiled as he rubbed her cheek.

“I'm right here.” Christie took hold of his hand.

“I'm sorry, Matt. I must look real pathetic right now.” Matt smiled and shook his head.

“Not at all. You could never look that way to me. How are you feeling?” Christie finally cracked a smile.

“I'm alright. I guess, I just needed to have a good cry.” She said with a laugh.

“Nothing wrong with that. Everyone needs to have one now and then.” Christie let out a smile. Just then, there was a knock at the door. Matt and Christie looked to see Bethany poke her head in.

“Good morning, sleeping beauty!” She said with a big smile. Christie formed a grin as she sat up.

“Good morning yourself.”

“Glad to see you're smiling again.” RJ stated as he walked in behind Bethany.

“Yeah, I'm alright now. Just took a good night's sleep.”

“That is a certain relief.” A voice spoke out from behind the door. Christie was surprised to see Benjiro walk in.

“Ben?! You're here?” Benjiro nodded his head.

“Beth was kind enough to call me late last night. I arrived here first thing this morning.” Christie smiled.

“I see. I'm sorry to have caused you any trouble.” Benjiro shook his head.

“Nonsense, I couldn't possibly just sit by and do nothing. Anything for one of my dearest friends.” Christie smiled.

“Thank you.” Bethany clapped her hands together.

“Well, now that we're all wide awake, shall we get some breakfast?” RJ formed a funny face.

“Don't get your hopes up too high, babe. My mom had to go to work early this morning. So my sister had to cook. And you know the only thing she's good at making is charcoal surprise.” He said as he stuck his tongue out. Benjiro let out a fake laugh.

“Come now, I'm certain it's not that bad.”

“Oh trust me, it is!” RJ stated as his eyes widened. Matt let out a fake laugh.

“That's better than my sister. She can't even cut fruit without cutting herself.” Bethany let out a laugh.

“Now that I can picture.” RJ rolled his eyes.

“All I know is that we'd better get to the kitchen before my sister sets the house on fire.” He said as he rushed out the door. Everyone let out a laugh.

“Well, shall we join him?” Benjiro asked.

“Might as well. Though we might regret it.” Bethany joked.

“You okay with that, Chris?” Matt asked. Christie smiled.

“Yeah, I'm alright. I could use a little something. Even if it is charcoal.” Everyone let out a laugh as she slowly got out of bed. As Christie took a step forward, her knees suddenly gave out and she lost her balance.

“Chris!” Bethany cried as she started to fall. Before she could hit the ground, Matt reached out to catch her.

“Are you alright, Chris?!” Benjiro asked. Christie pulled herself together.