Depression

Lauren

Pepper pulled up in my driveway. I was released from the hospital a hour ago.

"We're here." Pepper said putting the car in park.

"Yayy." Lexi said and jumped out the truck.

Pepper grabbed my hand. "Come on Lo."

I sighed and unbuckled my seat belt. The kids ran into the house.

I slowly walked inside.

"You hungry? Do you want me to cook you some soup or something?" Pep asked.

"I just want to lay down." I said dryly and started walking up the steps.

As I was walking to my bedroom I passed the nursery that was half way finished.

I walked into the room. The letters Adrianna were across the wall. That was going to be her name.

I grabbed the opened can of pink paint that was sitting on the floor and threw it down the stairs crying in the process. The paint splashed every where. I dropped down to my knees and cried in my hands.

"Mommy? Why you do that?" Lexi said.

I looked up at her still crying.

"Don't cry." She took her sock off and started to wipe my tears. "It's okay. That's what daddy tells me when I cry." She hugged my neck.

I just cried harder and harder.

"Go back downstairs with your brother." Pepper told her and Lexi did as she was told to do.

"Lauren. Look at me." Pepper grabbed my face.

"Stop it."

"I can't." I sobbed.

"You have to stop at some point. You can't keep crying everyday for the rest of your life girl." Pepper wiped my tears. "Yea I know you lost your daughter, but you need to get yourself together."

I listened to everything she was saying and she was right. I took a deep breath and pulled myself together.

I gave her a hug. "Thanks for being there for me."

"Anytime."
*

*

*

"Mommy I want donut!" Lexi said crying.

I was in the middle of getting ready for work.

"No!" I fussed at her.

She had a tantrum on my bedroom floor.

My phone rang and I answered.

"You have-" I pressed one.

"Hey Ace." I said putting on earrings.

"Wassup baby. What's all that noise in the background?"

"Lexi. She wants a donut."

He laughed. "Just spoiled. What you doing?"

"Getting ready for work."

"Work? I thought you would take some off since you just had the baby...well uh.. gave birth."

I sighed. "With you gone I need to be making money to take care of Luke and Lexi."

"It's money in the safe."

"It's not enough money too last for 12 years."

He did a loud sigh.

The time on the clock read 8:25.