Do You Care?

Ace

We were all sitting in the waiting room. Tae and Darwin were asleep and Pepper was just staring into space. Abby on the other hand was still crying. Luke and Lexi were only crying and little.

But I was just sitting there. Was I sad? No not really. I was worried that's all. I felt no type of way at this moment.

"I'm going to take Abby and the kids home." Pepper said sighing and grabbing her keys.

"No. I'm not leaving my sister here." Abby cried.

"Abbygail come on boo. We can come back tomorrow. You need some re-"

"NO!"

"Fine. Luke, Lexi, y'all coming with me or what?" Pepper asked the kids.

"We're going." Luke said.

"Bye daddy." Lexi gave me a hug then followed Pepper to the elevator.

After they left I just sat there in silence until I started to get hungry.

"I'll be back." Abby said getting up and walking into Lauren's room.

"Yo! Wake y'all asses up." I said tapping Darwin and Tae.

"What man." Tae mumbled.

"Let's go to Waffle House."

"Waffle House!? Nigga the hell? Your wife laying in a hospital bed in a coma and you talking about some damn Waffle House?" Darwin said.

"Just because Lauren in the hospital don't mean I can't eat."

"You can eat some cafeteria food nigga. You should be in there standing next to Lauren's bed."

"Man whatever." I grabbed my keys out my pocket and walked into the elevator.

I pressed the number 1 so it would take me down to the lobby. The elevator stopped at 3 and the doors opened and in walked Dr. Smith.

"Uh. I will take the stairs-"

"Nah. You can ride man."

He got on the elevator and stood far to the left.

"Going up or down?" I asked.

"Up to the 10th floor."

I nodded and pressed the number 10.

"So how long you and Lauren relationship lasted?" I asked cracking my knuckles.

"Uh I'm not sure man." He said tensing up. "I had no idea she was married."

I chuckled then I stopped the elevator.

"Why did you stop the elevator? I have a patient waiting for me."

"And this ass whooping been waiting for you."
*

*

*

Abby

I was holding my sister's hand while crying. I wish she would just wake up already.

The door opened and Ace walked into the room with a Waffle House bag and blood spots on his shirt.

"What happened to you?" I asked sniffing.

"Oh. Nothing. I brought you some Waffle House."

"I'm not hungry."

"You need to eat Abbygail."

"I will but not right now." He said.

"Okay." He said and sat down in a chair opening a bag of Fritos.

"Ace do you even care?" I asked him.

"Care about what?" He asked tossing chips into his mouth.

"My sister!" I simi yelled.

He sighed. "I do Abby."

"Your not acting like it. You barely even cried. Now your sitting here eating chips like shit ain't happen to her-"

"SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE CHEATED!"

"YOU WERE GONE FOR 11 YEARS ACE! SHE LOST HER CHILD BECAUSE YOU STRESSED HER OUT-"

"THAT DOESNT GIVE HER THE RIGHT TO CHEAT ON ME!"

"Just get out of here Antwan. I don't even know why your fucking here."

"You know what? I'm out."

Ace left. I sighed then looked back at my sister.

"Please wake up Lauren."