Chapter Five

Meredith had no need or want to get out of bed on Thursday morning. She had class that started at eight-thirty, but that meant nothing compared to what lied outside for her. Paparazzi were there, ready, day and night. Last night, after speaking to Harry, Meredith had gone into Tabitha and Delaina's dorm room, glancing out the window that looked out to the street. The paparazzi stayed. Throughout the night while Meredith tossed and turned, unable to sleep, she texted Tabitha, and Tabitha said the paparazzi were still there. She knew because the bright lights were shining into her room.

Rolling out of bed, Meredith grabbed coffee and set to doing her face. Her television played in the background with the news on. Apparently many well-sourced and credible news outlets decided to show up to the show that was Meredith Rogue, waiting for her to come outside. It was strange to see her dormitory on the television with her inside of it. Everyone waited for her, and she couldn't just disappoint.

You got this, Harry texted her.

Meredith wasn't quite sure, but she really didn't have a choice.

It was another day of meeting your worst enemy. Meredith's hair curled now and she did her makeup a bit darker. Putting on her dark maroon lipstick, if she was going to do this day right, she needed to go all the way. Meredith pulled on a pair of heels. As well as it was one of the last days of nice weather before everything turned sour.

After watching as many lies on the television as she could, Meredith finally turned it off and made the correct preparations. She had her backpack and her coat would once again be left in the room, not wanting to ruin the outfit.

The sun reflected off the cameras as Meredith Rogue exited her dorm. It was back to the usual calling of names and anything to get a rise out of her. The questions were asked again about Harry and their relationship status. Meredith was almost willing to give up all the answers if they would just shut up for a damn second.

"You're wearing heels," a paparazzi called.

How observant, she thought.

A paparazzi continued, "You're already tall. You shouldn't wear heels. It makes you look like an Amazonian, like a man. Is that what His Royal Highness into?"

Meredith stopped in front of the paparazzi and waited for them to gather around. "Yes, I'm already tall, at six feet and one inch. I'm wearing six inch heels, which makes six feet and seven inches." It was funny how that math worked. By those calculations, she was over two meters tall. "If you have a problem with that, I don't care. I have enough confidence to walk in them, and if you don't have enough confidence to watch me, then look away as I walk away." She smiled and left.

After a moment of hesitation, the paparazzi followed her. At that point, Meredith was far enough away that it didn't matter. Meredith had long legs, and she wasn't weighed down by heavy equipment. She walked easily.

Within five minutes of the class, Meredith suspected all classes were going to be this way. It was a lot of stares and whispers. Political Science 175 always started  by asking about current events, and Meredith happened to be part of the current events. First event out of a person's mouth, "Prince Harry has a new girlfriend, and she happens to be in this class."

"Then let's ask her," the teacher said. "Miss Rogue, what do you think about all of this?"

"I don't prefer it."

"And what about Prince Harry?"

"He's a dude."

The teacher laughed. "I don't like royals much, especially Prince Harry. He once dressed up as a Nazi as a teen and in his younger days, he used racial slurs against some soldiers in his company. He also has been criticized with his work with horses by animal activities. And all those women, goodness, it must be in the hundreds." The teacher's eyes came to Meredith. "Royals don't really have a place in the modern day society. They take money without doing much. They live lavish lifestyles without caring much for the poor. Who needs that much money? Try and get an actual job."

Meredith stared forward, smirking a bit.

"Do you have anything to say about this?" the teacher asked his student.

"You seem to know a lot about him." Meredith didn't most of this, and she certainly had some things to discuss with him. "It's odd."

"I googled him this morning."

"Bypassing all the good things."

The teacher smiled. "Make your point, Miss Rogue. I know you have one."

She straightened in her seat. "I can't change minds, and I don't want to change minds. You think what you think. It's none of my business." Meredith swallowed. "And I can't speak on his behalf, nor will I, but to take someone only at the bad moment is not to understand. I am sure he understands what he did was wrong, as any good human has done, and many things were taken out of context and he has apologized. It does not excuse what he has done. These things will forever be remembered."

"And?"

"And?"

"Miss Rogue, what are your thoughts on royalty?"

She paused for a second. "Once again, it is not my place to change minds but give thought. The British monarchy does not run the government; it is decorative, like many monarchies are. There are good and bad things to both. One should not compare the British monarchy to other monarchies from where you might have distinct knowledge."

"And the history of the British monarchy, Miss Rogue?"

"That wasn't in your original question. Do you wish to add it?"

The teacher smiled. "I do."

"Your question, sir."

"How does one explain away what the British monarchy throughout history?"

"One does not," Meredith replied coolly. "It must be owned and remembered as well. At the time, it was thought to be respectable and normal. Looking back, we can obviously decide not. The monarchy can only apologize and hope there is forgiveness. History books and stories passed down with mark the terrible and the great."

The teacher kept his eyes even on her. "Very diplomatic, Miss Rogue. You have all the correct things to say." The teacher laughed and clapped his hands together. "Ten extra credit points to Miss Rogue."

"Whoa," called a student in anger, "what about your points?"

"If you can argue your point, you can have the points. Until then, keep your mouth shut."