Chapter Fifty-Three

Finals were done in mid-May. For almost a month, Meredith worked at the department store, playing the piano and the same songs over and over again. Showing up in Germany, immediately Meredith felt alone. Though she had spent six years learning German, she felt like wasn't good enough. She didn't know how she would survive a month.

However, after the few days of being in Germany and going to Uni, it became easier. Meredith had been quiet and would continue to be quiet on her trip. All of it was fine, from what Meredith could remember. Every weekday, Meredith rode the bus system to Uni, where in the morning, she had a German class to work on her skills. In the afternoon, she had her work in the humanities through German culture and literature. After class, she had the ability to go back to her room, but she never did. Meredith studied the actual culture of Germany.

Usually that meant going out for a few drinks at a pub and practicing her skills with the public. As for the public knowing her, if anyone knew who she was, no one said anything. At the bars, people spoke to her in kind, some even speaking English because they hadn't done so in a while.  When she went clubbing with friends, guys still hit on her, and she turned them away.

It was perhaps because there hadn't been any new photos of Harry and her, which were soon to come-- after her month in Germany. The last photos of them in Jamaica seemed like forever ago, when it was only five or so months ago. That was also the last time Harry held her; that was the last time she touched him. She waited for the days when they would once again meet.

Five months had passed quick and slow. This last month was fast, speeding light past the window on the Autobahn, and she would miss Germany. Yet, she missed Harry more. Together, for only weeks, but it would be enough-- it had to be.

Yet no one noticed her, gave her any extra attention. Even the paparazzi and local cameras hadn't turned her way. In the last five months, there was enough news around the world to keep everyone entertained and appalled. Meredith tried her best to ignore it.

Eating Frühstück with her Gastfamilie of bread, meats and cheeses in the markt, her host father pointed out, "British." Of course her host family was well aware of who Meredith stood.

Meredith glanced over. "How can you tell?" She didn't hear Englisch, nur Deutsch

"They look English," er gesagt. "They have high cheekbones and pointed noses. Oder," he shrugged, "they have faces, like pugs." Her host father crunched his face. "I do not say Germans are the best looking people, aber du know where people come from in Europe, not USA. You mix."

"Is that good or bad?"

"You shouldn't argue as much in your Land."

"Aber wir machen," she said.

"Ja," he agreed, "und Trump wants a Mauer mit Mexico. Nein-- kein Mauer."

"Meine Meinung ist kein Mauer."

"Und Prinz Harry?" er gefragt. "Was denkt er?"

"Er denkt," Meredith paused, trying to find the right words. At this point, it was all about getting her point across. It didn't need to be perfect, but she needed to know her words. "Er gedankt kein Mauer. Leben ist fuer alle."

The host faster sat back and smiled.

Meredith, however, continued to look at the British tourists, who did not give her a care. If there was anyone that might recognize her, it was them. Turning her back to them,  she glanced unsteadily around, seeing if anyone else knew her. In the markt, no one gave a care. They sipped of Kaffee und Tee; they sat their Frühstück too.

"What will you be doing when you get back to the USA in a few days?" he asked.

"Ich habe a wedding for my friend, but I'm not going back to the US quite yet."

"Prinz?"

"Ja."

Her host father sat back, laughing again. "Junge Liebe," he sighed, watching the many people in the markt, buying flowers and other things. "Und was bringst du ihm aus Deutschland?"

Meredith smirked. "Was denkt du?"

He shrugged. "I have never tried to impress a boy before. I do not know what to bring him. Und, er hat alles. Was braucht er?"

"Mir."

"Du bist genug Deutsch nicht."

Meredith laughed. "Blumen fuer Harry? Einige Lederhosen? Eine kleine Schloss? Er habt alles. Was dinge bekommen ich?"

He shrugged. "Germans have the best beer."

"Ich denke other countries disagree."

"Sie sind flasch." Her host father stood, and Meredith followed him through the markt. His family had found for what they looked, and the children proudly held their prizes.

Fresh flowers bloomed around them, and people sold others goods. Fresh kuchen and strudel were being sold. Meredith thought about getting one of those for Harry, but by the time they met in a few days, it would be gone. Street markets like these were something Meredith wanted have. It was a bit too cold for these where she came from, and everything was a bit far out. Walking every day and having street markets was a beautiful thing. It made her miss Scotland, yet she missed Scotland for others reasons, too.

Walking among the colorful things, Meredith paused and looked at the trinkets. He wasn't much of a trinket person, and he received in his life. It was all too much. When his birthday rolled around, Harry received presents from around the world, same with Christmas and then many days in between.

However, her eyes wandered around the trinkets. She enjoyed them, but she had gotten enough with her time in Kassel and Germany. Anywhere she traveled, she picked up another trinket. It all added to her collection, all the places that she had been.

Meredith paused as at photo albums that were beautifully decorated. She liked to take pictures, and Harry wasn't a fan. His face had been on paper enough. Yet, Meredith wanted to give him the album anyway. It wasn't about the pictures others took, but the pictures they took together.

***************

Feel free to correct my German.