Chapter Thirty-Eight

It now stood a week since the paparazzi stood up, and they stood a measly five. It was the cold that had gotten to a few, but also Meredith hadn't been her usual self, willing to get into a fight with anyone. Also, the world was changing around them, where news happened every day in the form of President Trump, and Meredith was just boring. Plus, in Superior, Wisconsin, it was too far away from all the fun.

"Miss Rogue?" One of the paparazzi had started to referring to her like that now. It made her like them a little better. They stood on the other side of the street.

"Hello," she gave as her only a response.

"How was your holiday with Prince Harry?"

Meredith tilted her head.

"Will you be planning any more holidays with Prince Harry?"

Meredith tilted her head to the other side. Biting her tongue, all she wanted was to respond back, but she kept her mouth shut.

"I'm just wondering," the paparazzo said. "You two seem very happy together. I was wondering if he might be coming to visit you here. Maybe you'll visit him in London." His voice was so kind and soft that it was like he cared. "Perhaps university isn't necessary with a boyfriend like Prince Harry. Are you two getting married soon?"

Meredith rolled her eyes.

"You could just leave university for Prince Harry," the paparazzo egged, and it worked.

"My life does not revolve around him or men," Meredith responded. "My life revolves around academics, job, sleep and my dog-- all in that order." Actually, her dog might be higher up on the list. Harry was there somewhere, but all those things were important to her. Harry fell into fifth place, perhaps even lower with her friends, but it was all because he was on the other side of the world.

The paparazzo always spoke with a kind voice, and he kept his voice calm now. "Do you feel that your relationship with Prince Harry effects your relationships with other--"

Three pops echoed. A gravid pause happened as the whole world stopped to listen. Three more pops, and then one last pop occurred to finish out the bunch. Meredith stayed still, her normal face plastered as she listened for the sirens that started up down the block at the police station. Meredith looked around as she stood on the sidewalk exposed, but the pops had to be at least two blocks away.

"What was that?" asked the paparazzo.

"Gunshots," Meredith shrugged nonchalantly. By the looks on the paparazzi's faces, Meredith realized. I'm too American, she thought. "Well, you have a good night now." Meredith waved her hand and started inside.

"You're just going to leave us out here?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Those were gunshots?"

"This is the U.S." Meredith walked inside. "Bye, sweeties." The door clicked locked.

Through the windows, she saw as the paparazzi look right and left. Sirens grew louder and quickly police cars with red and blue lights shot by. The paparazzi looked at each other, unsure what to do, but they were cowards on the inside. Soon enough, they had gotten into their cars and went off into the opposite direction.

Sighing, she went upstairs, and Tabitha was on her way back from the bathroom. Meredith smiled at her friend. "The paparazzi have been taken care of."

"So those were where the gunshots were coming from," Tabitha said sarcastically.

Meredith rolled her eyes again. Today was proving to be just one big joke. "Of course not. They would be louder then."

"You're the expert." Tabitha went into her room, and so did Meredith.