Chapter Ninety-One

Impatiently waiting in a black cap and gown, an uncomfortably cold breeze snuck up her skirt. It hadn't been Meredith's idea to wear a skirt when it was this cold outside. In the cold Superior winter-- the last winter she had in Superior-- she knew better than to wear any exposed skin, yet her mother had insisted. With her mother and father up in Superior, Wisconsin, for Meredith's early graduation, she wished to appease them.

With three feet of snow already on the ground, it was going to be another nasty winter on the bay. Today was nicely mild 15 Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius). The dry chill wasn't too bad, and thankfully there wasn't any wind today.

Slipping on her heels, she was scared to walk on the ice, but she was more scared to walk up and down stairs at a moment like this. People were watching. While she knew how to walk in heels, this was the moment of proof.

"Meredith Rogue," they called her name.

One foot in front of the other, she walked up the stage. Her heart thundered. Her knees threatened to give way. Meredith stayed firm.

"Degree in Writing, minors in German, English and political science."

Almost geology, she thought.

Accepting her degree and stopping to take a picture with the chancellor, Meredith smiled happily, looking out to the crowd. Somewhere her parents were, along with her brother. After the second past, the degree was firmly in her grasp, and Meredith found herself carefully going the steps on the other side of the stage.

Resting in her seat again, the hardest part was over-- or at least of graduation. She had survived university. She hadn't made a fool of herself at graduation. Now she only needed to wait for the list of people to get their degrees. Thankfully the University of Wisconsin- Superior wasn't a large school, so graduation day was short, but at half year, it was even shorter.

The chancellor spoke as Meredith listened, not so intently. Now that she had her degree, she had no reason to spend another few minutes in Superior. It was time to get somewhere a little warmer.

"And now I present you: the Class of December 2018!"

While cheers went around the room, relief flooded through Meredith. Freedom finally came. It was enough to get Meredith to jump out of her seat, but it wasn't enough to get to move incredibly fast. Shifting through people, Meredith met her parents and brother at a secluded place. It was better to be away from all the crowds. Meredith felt like eyes were on her.

Congratulations, her father signed. Meredith gave her father a massive hug. Whispering in her ear, her father said, "My little girl... is all grown up."

Meredith blushed and signed, Thank you, Daddy. Turning back to her family, Meredith gave a hug to her older brother and mother. It was still tense between her mother and her, which made Meredith look at the floor. 

Her dad tapped her on the shoulder and signed quickly.

"What?" Meredith shook her head and signed it, not understanding.

Her dad pointed outside.

Leaving her family inside, Meredith entered the brisk cold. Her colds became to crack under the dull coldness. Her teeth chattered. Yet it wasn't as bad as it had been. Snow crunched under her heels, and Meredith watched where she walked. Ice liked to hide under the compact snow. Looking up, Meredith saw her breath turn white in the cold, dissipating as it blew away.

Meredith wasn't sure where she needed to be working. While she knew American Sign Language well, her dad purposely left something out. Her eyes trailed along the snow and hedges. Thankfully it was cloudy or Meredith would be left blinded-- and it would be much colder.

When she heard snow crunch behind her, Meredith spun around. Bad memories mixed in her head. Immediately Jack flashed into her vision, but when she blinked away those thoughts, she found Prince Harry in the bad boy's place, thankfully. Standing there, Meredith shook her head. Her dad and Harry had planned this.

With his large warm coat, Harry smiled at his girlfriend. Meredith pursed her lips but stood back.

"Did you come to fetch me for London?" she asked.

"I thought we could spend the holiday together, before I whisked you off to London, yes," Harry answered. "Are you not happy to see me?"

Meredith snickered. "You think I'm angry to see you?"

"Maybe."

Shaking her head, Meredith moved carefully on the compact snow with her heels, which dug in with every step she took. Stumbling forward, Meredith landed in Harry's arm. His nose had turned red with how long he had been standing outside, yet he didn't have frostbite. He was inside for the ceremony. He watched her walk.

"I'm so proud of you, Mere, really."

"You thought I was going to fail university?"

"No," he said quickly, but then realized she only kidded. "I never wanted to go university. It didn't interest."

"The military didn't exactly interest me," Meredith admitted.

Harry laughed, fingers running along her jacket. When Meredith stood straight again, they were at eye level. Harry liked to have Meredith back in his arms. With each passing day, he somehow loved her more, which made it more difficult not to have her beside him. He didn't need to worry about this anymore, now that Meredith was moving to London. He didn't need to be concerned.

For the past month, though, it had been terrible. Ever since Meredith called her with her nightmare, it was haunted too. Jack played in the back of his mind, where Harry called the prison times to be reminded Jack was still there. Harry had personally looked through records for Jack, who was allowed visitors and correspondence, yet all of it was watched. That was a relief. 

"Are you cold?" she asked.

"No. I'm all good. I'm good," he repeated, holding her tightly. In truth, he got all warmth from her.

"You wouldn't mind the cold for a bit longer?"

Standing back, Harry arched an eyebrow. "What did you have in mind?"

Kissing him on the cheek, Meredith went inside and came back out a few seconds later after speaking with her family. She took his hand in hers and led him away.