Chapter Forty

The stress had only alleviated a bit as Meredith went about her business. The weekend didn't bring any relaxation as she did more homework. Monday brought a series of meetings and classes. Tuesday, Valentine's Day, only became Meredith's worst.

Walking into the bullpen, where the RA's hung out in the union, Meredith stopped to discover all the red roses that were about. Most RA's had to stand as tables and seats, even the ground, housed over a hundred long-stemmed red roses. Anger boiled in her immediately. Red roses on Valentine's Day was so cliche. These had to be for different people, but everyone had the same idea.

Meredith almost kicked over a bouquet as it tripped her. "I hate Valentine's Day."

Giorgi, another RA and friend, arched an eyebrow. "I thought you liked Valentine's Day."

"What gave you that thought?"

She looked around at the red roses. "The flowers."

"I hate flowers. They give me allergies."

Giorgi handed Meredith a card. "You should tell your boyfriend that."

Snatching it from her hand, Meredith read it and rolled her eyes. "He's keeping a secret from me, and he's trying to prove that he's a good boyfriend."

"What's the secret?"

"Obviously I don't know," Meredith growled.

"Does he know you don't like flowers?"

"Yes."

"Yet he sent them to you?"

Meredith knew why he did it. It was all a show, something he and her had talked about before. Appearances were important. And Meredith didn't mind the roses too much, actually; it was rather cute. She enjoyed the attention, too. But all the red roses would be dead in two days in her hands.

"Giorgi, I have to go to class; can you write a note saying that anyone can take them?" Meredith asked. "Spread the love of Valentine's Day or whatever." She took a step out of the bullpen.

"Don't you want any?" her friend asked.

Meredith sighed and bent down. Originally, she only wanted to take one or two; however, Meredith had long arms and suddenly there were seventeen red roses in her hands. She went off to class with them and lugged them around until the end of the day.

An hour before on duty, Harry called her, "Happy Valentine's Day!"

"It's no longer Valentine's Day to you," Meredith said.

"You're taking the fun away," he frowned.

"Are you going to tell me what the secret is yet?" Meredith asked, not looking up from her homework.

"No."

"Then Valentine's Day is stupid." She sighed. "How many roses did you get?"

"Many."

Meredith rolled her eyes. "It was too many, but you got what you wanted. Many pictures were taken. It was cute."

"Are you admitting that you liked the attention?"

"I'm not an attention whore, Harry."

"I know." He smiled weakly. "Besides the many roses, how was your day? Do you have anything planned for Valentine's Day?"

"I'm on duty tonight, so that'll be good and interesting. I'll bring free condoms on duty tonight and slip them under people's doors, which will either end good or bad."