Chapter Ninety-Three

Turning back, Meredith smiled. "Harry, come on." From so far away, she didn't see what he held. "Did you fall?"

"Um...."

Meredith started to walk over.

Panic peaked in Harry. It was so easy to slip the engagement ring back into his pocket. It was so easy to hide it away. Yet the ring wanted her finger. Harry wanted her life. His hands began to shake, and the cloudy light reflected off it.

"What do you have there?" she asked. "Did you find something?"

"Er...."

Meredith stood in front of him, and she swallowed. Her eyes were wide. Her heartbeat was fast, never ending, and it made her want to choke as her lungs collapsed in. For a second, it didn't register. The next second made Meredith question where he picked it up. But Meredith knew with how large and expensive it was-- how beautiful it was. Every part of her knew this was made by Harry. He designed it specifically for her.

The dark emerald green matched her eyes, and he had to scour the world trying to find an emerald that fit her eyes so well. It wasn't an easy task. And so, he went on to place small clear diamonds around the large emerald with more diamonds marking down the side of the silver ring. Harry knew she preferred silver to gold any day.

"Um..." Meredith hummed.

Harry's cheeks burned. "I meant to do this differently," he admitted.

"Um...."

"I had this whole plan. When midnight hit in London on New Years with... when the fireworks are going off," Harry continued. "Because I knew you'd like that. But I really wanted to take you down to Africa. I wanted to show you more, and... and...."

"Harry, what are you doing?" Meredith's voice was a bit too high, squeaking as she spoke.

"Mere, I'm proposing."

"What?"

"I'm asking for your hand in marriage."

"Right now?" she asked. "You're asking for me to marry you right now? In Superior? On the beach? In winter?"

Harry gulped. "Yes."

Meredith stared at Harry. "Do it properly."

Confusion morphed Harry's face. Was this a no? What did she want? He didn't know, and embarrassment colored his face red. Standing, Harry put the ring away.

"Wait-- what? What are you doing?"

"Doing it properly," he stated.

"What?" Meredith screeched.

"I'm going to do it properly. I'm going to do it in London or in Africa. I'm going to make it all romantic. I am going to--"

"No. I meant ask me!"

Harry's blue eyes almost popped from his skull. "Oh." It was all he had to say.  Harry really thought she meant to do this properly, like to give her a massive romantic gesture, to show the world how much she meant, but Meredith didn't need that.

Fishing through his pockets, Meredith waited him. Her body trembled with anticipation, or at least Harry hoped it was anticipation. Her eyes didn't waver from him. She swallowed, and swallowed, and swallowed. Taking a deep breath, Meredith tried to calm herself. When the ring finally appeared again, a scream almost escaped her lips.

Taking a knee, Harry's blue eyes came up to his girlfriend, soon-- hopefully-- fiancee. "Meredith Rogue--" He stopped. After a deep breath was taken, he said, "I have to do this right, okay?"

Swallowing, Meredith nodded. "Do what you need to do."

"Mere," he amended, "I have loved you from the moment I met you, and I know that is hard to explain because when we met, it was... well, you know. And I realize we've had some ups and downs, and we're still getting to know each other, but I want you to marry me. I want you to be in my life for... forever." Harry didn't know he was going to get this nervous. "I love you, Mere, and those words aren't quite enough. They don't explain everything I feel.

"And I can't explain how I feel either." Harry wasn't good at words, and he managed to trip over them enough already. "If you will be my wife, I promise to love you for the rest of my life. I promise to stand by your side. I promise to do anything and everything for you. I promise to be the best man you could ever hope for--"

Meredith shook her head.

"What?" Harry asked sheepishly.

"I don't want you to be the best man I could ever hope for," Meredith said. "I want you to be the best person you can be."

"Mere, I promise to be the best person I can be," Harry repeated. "I promise all these things and more, if you'll just be my wife." He held up the ring.

Meredith waited.

A blush crept up on his cheeks. "I forgot again, didn't I?"

She nodded.

"Mere, will you marry me?"

"Yes!"

Meredith didn't even wait for Harry to get up as she joined him on the icy snow on the banks of Superior, Wisconsin. It wasn't the romantic place, but Meredith didn't care as she put her lips against his and wrapped her arms around Harry. He didn't even get the ring on her finger; she just kissed him, and Harry kissed back, so happy that she actually said yes.

In all honesty, he had some ideas she might say no, but those fears were gone now.

"Mere?"

Between kisses, Meredith responded, "Yes?"

"Are you sure?"

"Don't fuck this up, Harry." Leaning back on her heels, Meredith gave him a stern look. "Don't let the fears come in, and I know. I feel them; I've thought about them. But, Harry, I'm not going anywhere. I've made my choice, again and again. I've thought about this. I know what's coming next." Meredith took Harry's hand, and she held out her left hand. "I am staying with you, Harry."

Tears pricked his eyes. Blinking them away, Harry slipped the emerald engagement ring on her left ring finger.

Meredith stared down on it, watching it glimmer in the clouded light. It was so shiny. It was so shimmery. It was so green. It was so-- Meredith's eyes came up to Harry. "So, what now?" she asked. "We don't tell people, do we?"

"No," he said with a smile, which refused to be wiped from his face. "We wait a bit." Holding her hand, he shifted her fingers. "I'm afraid it's going to have to come off. You can't tell anyone. We'll go to London. We'll live there. And soon enough--"

"You'll be my husband."

"An honor it is." Kissing the top of his hand, he hated to see it go as it was just there. "Mere," Harry stood and brought Meredith up too, "I love you."

"You've said that a lot today."

"I'll say it for the rest of my life. "

Meredith blushed. Saying I love you wasn't enough. "Harry, let's go home-- to London."