Chapter Fifty-Seven

It was another rainy day in the Highlands, with the clouds hanging low, flowing into the valleys at all angles with a flood. It was the perfect day to stay in bed, and Meredith made the best of it by rolling over and kissing Harry. Chuckling, his hands took hers, and he kissed her fingertips. She was freezing, like it was the middle of winter outside instead of summer. His blue eyes came up to her green eyes, and there the Highlands roamed.

Flipping Meredith over to her back, she let out a yelp, and Harry rested between her legs, hovering. His hand reached out, running through her tangled blonde hair. A little darker to the roots, it shifted yellows in the summer. He knew from her hair that she had spent much time in outside this summer, especially in Germany. Her skin was tanned too. In the sun, her brown freckles had been brought out, a feature she didn't have before. The light dots skimmed right under her eyes and up to her forehead. 

His thumb ran over the dots, getting so close to her eye that she flinched away. A tang of guilt pulsed through his veins. When her eyes blinked again, lightness showed happiness. She wasn't afraid of him. Carefully his thumb touched her temple and then dipped into her hair again.

Meredith only watched him with amusement. Any movement he made, usually just his eyes, she jumped and watched. His touch was soft. The whole of him was water, and Meredith was sure he might slip away.

Like he meant to play a game, his fingers trailed through her hair and then slid down her arms. Immediately, little white mountains formed on her skin, each with an stem of light blonde hair. She shuddered underneath him, excitement running up and down her spine. Harry brought his hand up to her lips, running along them.

"You take forever," Meredith murmured.

Harry threw his head back and laugh. His blue eyes came to land on her again. "Do you want me to go faster?"

Lips hovered over hers, and all Meredith needed to do was move upward. She didn't move. "No," she said. "I want forever."

Putting a bit more space between them, Harry said, "I think you might get that."

"You think? I might?" she wondered with a smirk. "You know. I will."

He amended, "I know you will get that." Bending down, Harry kissed her, starting at her lips and then down her face. His lips trailed to her neck, across her collarbone, and Meredith arched her back. She brought his face back up to her.

"I just want a good look at you." Meredith pushed him off and he flopped down beside her on the bed, striking a pose.

"Do you like what you see?"

Redness flooded her cheeks. Sighing, she tried to cover up what she felt, rolling so that Harry's arm were around her. It was only their fourth day together, but it felt like time dwindled. Meredith had to remind herself to live in the moment, but forever was so close, touching her body, kissing her every moment. She wanted to only look toward the future with him, and she expected the same from him. However, Harry did love to live in the present.

He slithered away from her, falling off the end of bed. His head poked up from the blankets. Harry smiled mysteriously.

"I don't like that look," Meredith commented.

"What about it?"

"It's on your face."

"Would you prefer it somewhere else?"

"It depends what you're going to do."

Harry shrugged. "I had a few things in mind."

Putting a knee on the bed, he balanced and pushed the blankets off of her. Meredith laid naked, exposed in front of Harry's hungry blue eyes. She felt warmth climb across her body, down her right side, across her chest and to her toes, which just began to tingle. Harry pushed her legs apart again.

"May I, Mere?" he asked.

"Permission."

"Please, Mere?"

His lips started at her foot, tickling her. Dodging out of the way, Meredith almost kicked him in the face for the purpose tickle. Moving on, Harry kissed her shaven and tanned legs, getting to her thighs. With the same mysterious glint in his eyes, Harry waited patiently for her permission. Meredith only pursed his lips at him. She shook her head no, testing him.

Sitting back on his heels, he took his hands off of her. "Are you sure, Mere? I've been told I'm very good."

"By who?"

"By you."

Meredith smiled. "And why should I allow you?"

"Can't I give you something nice?" he asked. "You've been so kind to me."

"Perhaps I should stop being so kind."

"Or I could just return the favor."

Meredith had a different word in mind, but it did rhyme with favor. "What if I'm tired?"

"I can make you awake."

"And what I'm not in the mood?"

"It's your loss."

Laying on the bed, Meredith's heartbeat thundered. She knew what she wanted: Harry. She wanted his many skills. But it was so interesting to watch him because he wanted this so much. Meredith would give him nothing in return, yet he came.

He returned. Harry always came back.

And Meredith was the luckiest woman in the world. There wasn't a doubt about it. To have a person like Harry, let alone a man like Harry, was unthinkable to many. How did such a gentle man exist? Yet, as he as in front of her, she knew it wasn't his doing. He could be different with the way he was raised. There was a part of him that was good, a genuinely amazing person. How did she get so lucky?

"No," she said.

Harry respected that and backed off. He stood at the foot of bed, waiting for the next word from Meredith.

"Come lay with me, please."

Smiling, Harry laid down beside her, and Meredith flipped her hair back to get a full look at him. While he found her hair pretty, it was too dark of blonde to her now, a little too greasy looking, almost silver like she was old. Meredith's fingers ran along his ribs and across his sternum. Her hand laid flat and felt his heartbeat.

Placing her head to his chest, Meredith just listened.