Chapter Thirty-Four

Though Meredith fell asleep in Harry's arms, when Harry woke up, Meredith was gone. Immediately his heart began to pound, for no reason. He jumped out of the bed and listened. Going over to the window, he looked out to the dock, yet he didn't see her. Silently, he moved inside the house.

The floor was cold under his bare feet. He moved down the stairs. It was silent, except for almost a slapping or clapping sound. Harry straightened and poked his head around a corner, looking into the kitchen. Meredith had her cell phone propped up against a set of books while FaceTiming her father.

She signed to her father, which Harry didn't know what she said. Though he knew Meredith's father was deaf, Harry hadn't actually learned any American Sign Language. Her hands also moved very quickly, not allowing Harry to even try to comprehend. When she set her hands down, her father signed back.

Harry watched on as they signed back and forth, until Meredith looked back to find him standing there. He had been half hidden behind the door frame, not wanting to disturb them, yet she called him forth. Walking forward, he stood in full view of Meredith's cell phone. He gave a half wave. Her father, a smiley man, gave a wave back, and then he signed something to his daughter. Meredith signed back and then clicked FaceTime off.

"Apparently he knew I was there," Harry said, leaning against the table.

"It was your hair," Meredith sighed. "He called it ginger, but I corrected him."

"It isn't ginger?"

"It's African Sunset."

He snickered. "You're going to have to teach me American Sign Language."

Meredith shrugged. "It's not too difficult, only if you know British Sign Language. Do you?"

"Only a few words, not much."

Her green eyes watched him carefully. "Hmm."

Harry didn't like that look. "What?"

"I can type very quickly. I play the piano. I know American Sign Language. I'm very good with my fingers, which leaves the question: why do I need you, Harry?" Meredith smirked and leaned back in her chair.

"Um...." He shrugged. "I'm a good cook. I clean. Those are two things that you don't do."

"Pre-made food." Meredith stood up, becoming eye level with him. "And everything has its place."

"On the floor?" Harry arched an eyebrow.

She put her nose to his. "It goes in a corner."

Harry scoffed. 

Meredith still had her eyes evenly matched against his. Her nose touched his gently. Harry felt her warm breath on his skin, sending shivers up his spine. From this angle, he had the perfect view into the many greens of her eyes, ranging all of Scotland. There was a bit of warm brown in there too, but it was mostly green. Her blonde hair shifted colors with the sunlight streaming in behind her.

Tilting her head to the left, Meredith pressed her lips to his, taking as much in of him as she could. Little kisses on the forehead weren't enough. Meredith wanted much, much more. With the way Harry kissed back, he wanted more too.

His arms wrapped around her body. Meredith's fingers curled in his African Sunset hair. She tasted of freshly brewed coffee. Her strawberry Chapstick mixed in carefully. Harry, though he had morning breath, still had the mint from the previous night's brush of the teeth. Slowly, his fingers worked upward, grabbing on her hair.

Meredith looked good either way, but he liked holding her soft hair between his fingertips. While in Scotland, Meredith's hair had been cut short, only being to her shoulders. Now, four months later, it was longer. Though, this morning it was curly. Most times she wore it straight, saying it was easier to managed. Harry liked the curl, how it framed it face, how it mirrored her personality, how it was wild; it wouldn't be tamed. When Meredith went back to university, she would insist on wearing it straight again. It would be a sad day.

Meredith kissed Harry. Secretly, she waited until he shaved his face. She didn't mind it the beard, and at times, it was sexy. But the day he was clean shaven, it would be a happy day. Finally there wouldn't be random, rough hairs dragging across her face.

Throwing her head back, Meredith giggled. "Let's move this party upstairs."

"Come now," he said. "I thought we were going for a marathon in the house."

She shook her head, taking him upstairs. Rooms were passed until Meredith pulled him into the master bedroom, closing the door behind them.

Some time later, Meredith laid on the bed. Her head rested on Harry's chest. He breathed deeply, eyes closed. He wore a grin from ear to ear. His heart thundered. Meredith moved her hand to touch his scuffy face; his face needed a trim. His careful fingers held her hand, pressing it to his lips. He kissed her hand, feeling the ring finger, where he hoped the ring might go someday.

Unaware, Meredith stared out the window. It was like her eyes blindly looked outside. She was focused on something so far out. Yet she was at peace in his arms.

Harry differed. He counted down the moments. He knew the days. If Meredith and him lasted, which he so hoped for, then he would ask her to marry him. He wasn't sure how yet, with so many choices running through his head. Though he wanted to do something grand and romantic, she easily got scared off. He wanted to prove that she would always be safe in his arms and at his side.

He thought about taking her somewhere, like William did with Catherine, but Meredith didn't like to spend money. Perhaps grand gestures weren't the best option. But she loved the Highlands.

He drew a circle on her shoulder with his thumb. After the engagement, the marriage. He would let her choose whatever she wanted. However, Meredith probably wanted something small, and in the monarchy, that didn't happen. Afterward, Meredith had the choice. He would follow her to the ends of the earth. His life belonged to her.

Yet, Harry didn't say it to her. Meredith admitting that she loved him was enough for now. Later, all would come out. For now, love was just enough.

Rolling over, Meredith moved so that she lied next to him fully. Her head fit in the crook of his shoulder. Harry opened his eyes, bright with light and awe. He chuckled. Inching forward, her face hovered above his. Her green eyes shined with happiness. Harry's hand brushed her hair back, twisting in her fingertips.

"I love you, Mere."

"I love you, Harry."