Chapter Seventy-Six

Meredith woke up in his arms, because it was lack of choice. Harry had the chance to sleep on the floor, but the two climbed into the twin bed and cuddled all night. When her alarm clock went off in the morning, Meredith groaned with Harry's arms still around her.

"No," Harry whimpered.

Rolling her eyes, Meredith escaped his grasp. "It's not like you have class. You can continue to sleep." Leaving the room, Meredith was careful about keeping her door shut. She checked the bathroom, but many people were already at class. When Meredith came back to the room, Harry had just rolled on the twin bed, taking up more room.

Meredith turned on the news, bringing the sound to a hum. Throwing a pillow on his head, Harry curled within the blankets. Pulling up the shades and putting on a light, Meredith started on her hair and makeup for the day. Meredith opened her window, letting in a cold blast of air, and Harry growled.

"It smells like something is burning," Harry said.

"It's my hair." Meredith ran the flat iron across her blonde hair, pulling it hard. With so much hair, it was hard to get through and keep straight. "There are more blankets if you're cold."

"I thought you said Crownhart is like a sauna."

"When it's really cold outside. It's not too bad."

"There was a blizzard yesterday."

She scoffed, if only Harry knew a proper blizzard. "And when it's really cold, it doesn't snow," Meredith explained. "Usually it's incredibly sunny too."

"It's so confusing." Harry pulled more blankets around him and snuggled deeper into the creaking bed.

Turning back to the mirror, Meredith applied blush and highlighter, which brought her whole face up. More mascara was put on until it evened out, which took a while. Meredith's eyes were two different shapes, and it was a struggle every morning to even them out. If Harry noticed or even cared, he didn't say anything. Most people didn't notice, but Meredith knew. She had stared at herself enough in her life.

Standing at her closet, Meredith took off her clothes and stared, never knowing what she wanted to wear that day. Harry called out, "Aren't you cold?"

Meredith scoffed and turned to him. "Of course this is when you watch."

"I've been watching the whole time."

"Creepy." Walking over, Meredith stood nude in front of him.

"What are you trying to do, Mere?"

"Choose an outfit for the day."

"Without panties or a bra on?"

"Would it turn you off from me?"

"No."

Meredith smirked. "What do you think I should wear?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "You know I don't have any fashion sense. Someone does that for me too."

"I don't have any fashion sense either."

"Yes, you do."

"I wear jeans every day."

"And a shirt," he added.

"And shoes," Meredith continued, "and makeup, and jewelry, and socks when it's cold, and a bra and underwear."

Harry laughed. "Yeah, just choose some of that."

"It depends," Meredith said. "Should I dress to impress today? Will I be meeting an enemy?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think the paparazzi are going to show up today?"

"No. I was careful. I came through Canada and then into Duluth. I avoided all major airports."

It still scared her. She just needed to get through her classes, and then they would drive down. Harry had a surprise for her or something. "There is food in the fridge and up in those containers. Water is under the bed. If you need to go to the bathroom, wear a hat and put on my glasses." Meredith put on her shoes. "Band Aids are in that container," she pointed.

"I'm an adult, Mere."

She shrugged. Walking over, Meredith kissed Harry on the lips. "Here's the remote. Have fun."

"I love you," he called.

"I love you too. Lock the door." Meredith left. Stepping two feet, she stopped and listened. The click of the lock fell into place, and Meredith went on her way.

Sitting down in class, Meredith couldn't stop looking at her cell phone. It wasn't two minutes without glancing down. Maybe she waited for a resident to message her or the world going nuts over him being in Superior. Maybe she waited for Harry to text her, like he might get locked out or lost.

"Are you okay?" Giorgi asked.

"I'm fine."

"Is someone dying?"

"Maybe."

Giorgi blushed, suddenly scared that Meredith's life was in trouble.

"Just kidding," Meredith said. "It's just...." Glancing around, Meredith lowered her voice and spoke to her friend, "There's a ginger in my room."

Pausing, Giorgi tried to decipher what her friend meant. "Do you mean the dude last night?" she whispered.

"Yes. You knew it was Harry?"

"I knew it was you, but I thought that maybe you and Harry broke up. I didn't think it was a prince."

"I didn't know he was coming. He was just there."

Giorgi laughed.

Coming back from her classes, Meredith looked right and left. She checked the floor, but it was cleared out. Most residents had left for spring break, and Meredith and Harry was next. Unlocking the door, Meredith announced herself before coming in. Harry sat on the floor, reading.

"Were you that bored today?" Meredith asked, dropping her bag.

"I enjoyed it," Harry said. "And your stations aren't that great."

"My apologies. It's whatever we get via cable."

"Also," Harry stood up and gave his girlfriend a kiss, "it was an interesting book. You have like twenty down there. One had to be good."

"And you found it?"

"I did." Harry put the book back.

"No. Keep it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I mean," Meredith curled her arms around him, "I'll get it back someday."

Harry kissed her lips, swaying her in his arms. "Yes."

Meredith blushed in excitement. "And were off to the Twin Cities. Then where?"

Harry shrugged. "It's a surprise."

Meredith groaned, "Harry."

Laughing, he threw his head back. "You're going to give me away."

"Harry, you know I hate surprises."

"Do you hate me?"

"Depends what you're going to do."

"I have a few things in mind." With the look on Harry's face, he had more than a few things on his mind.