Chapter Twenty-Three

Originally, Harry and Meredith were going to meet in Toronto, but then, he changed. He chose somewhere a farther away. Meredith didn't have the money, so unfortunately, she had to take it from Harry. If it was at any other time, she would have said no. But after not seeing Harry for almost four months, she would do anything. Even though they agreed to meet halfway, they both went west.

Meredith arrived in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, two days after Christmas. After going through costumes at the airport, she moved into the open area. She kept her hat down and her glasses on, a little scared of where she might go next.

Ms Rogue a sign read, and Meredith walked toward him. From far away even, Meredith knew it wasn't Harry. However, this man didn't try to hide his appearances. There wasn't any need because no one ever took a second glance at him.

"Hello, Bill," Meredith said. "How are you?"

"I'm well, ma'am. How are you?"

"Good." Meredith glanced around. Bodyguard Bill reached forward to take Meredith's bag, but she pulled it back. "I'm a big girl. I can do it myself."

"Follow me, ma'am." Bill watched the crowd carefully, with his many years of training, while Meredith just kept her head down. Once reaching the parking garage, Meredith and Bill slipped in the car. "His Royal Highness is waiting where you'll be staying. We needed to change to Vancouver because the paparazzi found out about Toronto. He is very sad for this secrecy, ma'am, but it is all about privacy."

"I'm good hands with you, Bill." Meredith settled back. "How far are we going?"

"It's a few hours away, but you two will not disturbed there." Bill reached back and then handed Meredith a pill box. "His Royal Highness told me that you would need those. The car is a rental."

Meredith nodded and popped a motion sick pill in her mouth. The taste was vile, but the hope was the car wouldn't be dirty. Once leaving the city, the melting snow of Vancouver, and its outer reaches, covered almost everything. The world zoomed past her, and it all reminded Meredith of college, when she drove on the edge of Lake Superior. The city was left behind as woods closed around them.

A hour or so later, Bodyguard Bill pulled into a house next to the ocean. Black, Gothic gates surrounded the old mansion. There weren't any neighbors around that made the gates necessary. The brick house with a black roof held a long driveway. Inside, Meredith had a feeling it would be unimpressive compared to the palaces she had stayed in. Trees curled outside.

The car parked out front. Wet snow squeaked under the tired. Meredith stepped out in her red rain boots. Across from the old mansion, the ocean water washed up against the rocks and snow. Gray waves lapped against the shore. Ice cracked and groaned.

"Later," a voice called behind her who knew her love for the water.

Meredith would know that voice anywhere. Turning around, snow squeaked under again. God, was he beautiful. There stood a no more perfect man than him. In every way shape and form, Meredith loved Harry. Sometimes she thought she was willing to give up, but seeing him again, there wasn't a way. She was drawn to him, and she wanted him. Her breath caught in her throat, and she tried to remain calm.

Just looking at him, it was like she was falling all over again, but faster this time. Last time, it was slow and scary. But now, with him now, it was wanted-- he was wanted. By the look in his eyes, Harry wanted her too. Last time, she fought and fought. Meredith let herself fall now.

With a squeal, she bounded toward Harry, and Harry toward her. Her body hit his, and she curled her arms around him, never wanting to let go. Her fingers pulled at his hair. She placed her head against his face, feeling the warmth. This was home.

Harry chuckled and held her tighter. "How are you?"

Meredith nodded. She kept him close. Closing her eyes, she just let herself dangle in his arms. She breathed him in. Tears started to fall from her eyes, burning, and she tried to suck them back in. Meredith just missed him more than she knew, more than she wanted to admit allowed. Sniffling, she kissed him on the cheek and pulled back.

Harry brushed the tears away. "Hello."

"Hiya." Meredith wrapped her arms around Harry again, planting a kiss on his lips. She kissed him, never wanting to breathe again. She kissed him, wanting to melt into him. She kissed him. Harry kissed back, tasting like coffee. His face proved that he had been awake for a while. His lips moved away from her lips, but down to her cheekbone ad onto her neck. Meredith blushed. "How are you?"

"Much better now that you're here." Harry kissed her on the cheek and slipped his arm around her body. He wiped another tear from her face. "What's wrong?"

"I'm tired," she said. "It was a long flight." Meredith wasn't ready to admit the real reason for her tears.

"Shall we?"

"After you."

The old mansion opened outside and was filled with dark woods. It almost looked cozy with all the soft furniture about. Meredith was so tired that she thought about just lying down now, but Harry kept her awake with his sparkling personality. Harry shined his dazzling smile at her, and Meredith felt weak in the knees.

"What?" he asked.

"I love you."

Harry froze, still smiling. His eyes matched the blue water of a sunny day in Scotland, like the ocean water of their first date. His eyes were alight, like something purely made him happy. It was Meredith.

Reaching around, Harry picked her up, spinning. Meredith let out a squeal, not used to being off the ground. She closed her eyes as the world twisted and turned. Harry kept a firm grip on her as he laughed in happiness. She felt his heart thunder, or maybe it was hers. Either way, she knew it was from happiness.

Harry, still holding her, asked, "Now, was that so hard?"

"It was difficult," Meredith said, trying to find her footing again, but she was still too far from the ground.

"So you love me?"

"Maybe."

"That's not what you just said." Harry turned her so that they faced each other. Their eyes melt, and Meredith felt herself turn to mush. "I love you, Mere."

"I love you, Harry." The words echoed throughout the room. The words vibrated within Meredith. The weight was taken off her shoulders. It was different now, saying it directly through him, while touching him. He was real; he was here.

A voice cleared behind them, and Harry almost dropped her. Bodyguard Bill stood in the hallway sheepishly. "I'm leaving now, your highness."

Harry set her down but didn't let go. "Thank you," Harry smiled.

With a bow of his head, Bill left, giving all the privacy they needed.

Meredith watched as the black gates closed behind the car. Once he was out of full view, Meredith turned back to Harry, planting her lips on his. Her arms circled around him, bringing him close. She just wanted him closer. Harry happily obliged, kissing her back. He lifted her off the ground, somehow getting stronger over the past few months. She kissed him deeply.

"I thought you said you were tired," Harry responded.

Meredith laughed. "The day is young, and I haven't seen you in a long time."

Chuckling, Harry kissed her again. "You make me young."

"You're going to feel like an old man by the time I'm done with you." Meredith escaped from his grasp and stepped onto a stair. "Are you excited?"

"I thought we could just enjoy each other's company," he said.

"You will enjoy me." Meredith grabbed his hand and led Harry upstairs.